Episode 5

Twinsburg - Episode 5


FADE IN:

EXT. VALLEY -- FRIDAY MORNING

An area along the riverbank has been cordoned off with yellow tape. Police cruisers are parked nearby, flashing their red and blue lights. GALE approaches. Several DEPUTIES are milling around the area. LYNDON is seated on a tree root, crying. Another deputy is with him. SHERIFF comes up from the riverbank to meet Gale.
SHERIFF
We’ve got another one. It looks bad.
They go to the edge of the water. A body, wrapped in plastic, is on the bank. Doctor TERRENCE is examining it.
GALE
Who is it?

SHERIFF
Leigh Pfiffer. Lyndon’s sister.

GALE
Damn it. I had a visitor last night, Bob. The Box Lady. She told me history was repeating itself. I see now what she meant.

SHERIFF
She knew about the murder? How?

GALE
Doctor Terrence.

TERRENCE
Good morning, Agent Gale. It looks like your killer has struck again. I’d say she died sometime around 1:30 to 2:00 last night. She’s been mutilated rather badly. But here’s something you’ll be interested in. I found the letter “N” carved into the fourth toe of the right foot. Just like Millicent.

GALE
Indeed. Those letters were never made public. It must be the same killer.

SHERIFF
Why letters? What does it mean?

GALE
W, Y, N. I don’t know, Bob.

SHERIFF
What are you going to do?

GALE
First, I’ll contact Duncan. I want him to take a look at this. Then, I think we’d better bring in Professor Saltares.
CUT TO:
INT. DANI’S HOME -- KITCHEN -- MORNING

Close up of Dani’s breakfast: coffee and a bagel with cream cheese, with assorted small jars of jam. DANI is ready for work, wearing a business suit. JANET, in her bathrobe, enters.
JANET
Good morning.

DANI
Morning.

JANET
Something wrong? I heard some banging about late last night.

DANI
That was Patrick, coming in late again. I hate it when he does that, comes stumbling in at two or three in the morning after being out all night. And he won’t even tell me where he’s been.

JANET
I’m sorry. It must be so hard on you.

DANI
He’s so distant now. It wasn’t always like this. We used to have fun. Now, we never seem to do anything but argue. Whenever he’s home, he just listens to his CDs. I mean, you saw him. And then he goes out and won’t tell me anything.

JANET
You’ve tried talking to him?

DANI
Of course, but he won’t. I just don’t know where this marriage is heading.
CUT TO:
INT. ALAN’S OFFICE -- MORNING

ALAN is on the phone.
ALAN
What do you mean? Yes, my son was arrested, but how does that bear on my mall development? It kills the all-American image, is that what you’re trying to tell me? Well, look, I don’t pay you to tell me what the public thinks. I pay you to tell the public what to think about me. Clear? Now get on it.
ALBERT enters, looking beat. Alan hangs up.
ALAN
P.R. people! Albert, you look terrible!

ALBERT
Good morning, Alan. Oh, I just had a rough night, that’s all.

ALAN
You know, Albert, with all that’s happened, I think you really should take a long weekend. Rest, get your strength back.

ALBERT
You may be right, Alan. I mean, I’m not as young as I used to be.

ALAN
Who is?

ALBERT
Right. I think I will leave early today. But there are just a couple of things I should get to first.

ALAN
Albert, you are a trouper. I don’t know where I would be without you.

ALBERT
Thanks, Alan.
Alan’s phone rings. Albert goes to his own office.
ALAN
Hello? Janet! Oh? You’re alone, eh? What are you wearing? [laughs] Dinner. Yes, that would do me a world of good. It’s Duane. He’s been arrested. Something to do with drugs. Yes, thank you. Special ways to make me feel better? I like the sound of that.
Alan leans back in his chair and laughs.

CUT TO:
EXT. SHERIFF STATION -- MORNING

CUT TO:
INT. SHERIFF STATION -- LOBBY -- MORNING

LYNDON is being comforted by ABIGAIL.
LYNDON
I don’t know what I’m going to do. Tomorrow is our mom’s birthday. Leigh was going to have us over for dinner, and now I’ll have to tell Mom that she’s... that she’s dead.

ABIGAIL
Oh, Lyndon. I’m so sorry.

LYNDON
I just know it’s going to break her. It took her so long to recover from Dad’s death, and that was an accident. Now for Leigh to be murdered...

ABIGAIL
If there’s anything I can do...

LYNDON
Thank you, Abigail.

ABIGAIL
Oh, Lyndon. I’d do anything for you...
SHERIFF approaches.
SHERIFF
How are you, Lyndon?

LYNDON
I think I’ll be okay, Sheriff.

SHERIFF
Look, why don’t you take the rest of the day off?

LYNDON
Thank you, Sheriff. I will.
Lyndon and Abigail exit. GALE comes out of the conference room.
GALE
How’s Lyndon handling it?

SHERIFF
I’m not sure. I hope he’ll be all right. I’ve sent some men over to pick up Saltares. They should be back pretty soon.

GALE
Good. Duncan is on his way. He should arrive about noon.

SHERIFF
That’s great, but I think I’d better let Doctor Terrence know well ahead of time.
Sheriff goes into his office. PENNY enters.
GALE
Penny.

PENNY
Good morning, Agent Gale. I’ve brought you Millicent’s diary. I pass here on the way to school, and I thought the sooner you had it, the better.

GALE
(takes the diary)
Yes. Thank you, Penny.

PENNY
I hope you find whoever it was, Agent Gale. I want to see Millicent rest easy.

GALE
As do I, Penny. As do I.
Penny exits. Gale opens the diary and begins scanning the pages.

CUT TO:
EXT. HIGH SCHOOL -- PARKING LOT -- MORNING

BRADLEY and MEGAN get out of Bradley’s car.
BRADLEY
Oh, by the way, I’m going to the football game tonight with the guys, so I guess you can use the car if you want.

MEGAN
Thanks, but I won’t need it. I’m going out with James tonight.

BRADLEY
James Clapsaddle? I can’t see why you would date such a weirdo.

MEGAN
James is not a weirdo, he’s just quiet. Anyway, it’s not a date. We’re just good friends. I’m not even interested in him romantically. He knows that.

BRADLEY
I still think you’d be better off staying away from him.

MEGAN
Well, I’ll live my own life, if you don’t mind.
CUT TO:
EXT. SHERIFF STATION -- MORNING

CUT TO:
INT. SHERIFF STATION -- INTERROGATION ROOM -- MORNING

SALTARES is seated. GALE and SHERIFF are standing over him.
SALTARES
Look, why have I been arrested? I had nothing to do with Millicent’s death. You have to believe that!

GALE
(produces the burnt photographs)
Professor, I think it’s time you told us the truth about Millicent Collins, as well as the cult activities within the Medieval Re-creation Society.

SALTARES
(looks at the photos)
My god. How did you find these?

SHERIFF
Never mind that. Just start talking.

SALTARES
All right. All right, I’ll tell you everything. I am, indeed, part of what you would call a cult that operates in secret, under cover of the Medieval Re-creation Society. We worship an ancient being of immense power, known to us as the Lady of Night. Her dark powers have spread over the earth since the dawn of time. Power that we can tap into, to deal with our enemies.

GALE
And you lead this cult?

SALTARES
Me? No, I am not worthy of that honor yet.

GALE
Then who does?

SALTARES
Our leader’s identity is known only to himself. He always wears the hooded cloak and ritual armor of his rank.

SHERIFF
Well, how do you recognize him?

SALTARES
By his voice. And especially that scary laugh of his. All who hear it feel the bone-chilling cold of the Lady’s power that flows within him.

GALE
Tell us about Millicent.

SALTARES
I knew Millicent from church, where I often find converts for our own beliefs among the souls alienated and marginalized by mainstream religion. But Millicent was different. Her faith was strong. When she came to me full of enthusiasm for the Dark Ages, I saw her as a potential member of the MRS, and she came to a few events with me, strictly for fun. But it was when she revealed her obsession with Llewellyn the Marauder that I considered her as a member of our dark circle. Llewellyn was a favorite servant of our Lady and spilled much blood in her name. Millicent seemed eager to join us, and at our next meeting, I presented her to our leader.

SHERIFF
Then what happened?

SALTARES
He seemed unusually pleased with her petition to join us. She was initiated with all the standard rites, the ritual nakedness and the drinking of human blood, you know. But then, the leader ordered that she and I perform an ancient sex ritual. I knew of it but had never seen it actually performed. These pictures were taken as a record.

SHERIFF
That’s sick.

SALTARES
You cannot understand us. The leader then announced that Millicent would be made our circle’s special sex slave. Then he took up his staff and beat her harshly. We were surprised by this action, but the leader revealed that the Lady of Night had spoken to him and had marked Millicent for this bondage.

GALE
When did all this happen?

SALTARES
It was early last month, just before the Feast of the Leviathan.
Gale produces a photo of Theresa Chavez.
GALE
Professor, do you know this girl? Her name is Theresa Chavez.

SALTARES
Wait... yes, I remember her. She joined our circle as well, sometime last year. Nothing out of the ordinary with her, but she disappeared soon afterward, toward the end of the MRS event that was going on at the time.

GALE
She was killed by the same individual responsible for Millicent’s death.

SALTARES
What? Look, I swear to you I knew nothing about that. I didn’t even know she was dead. We thought she just got scared and took off. It happens. But I had nothing to do with either of the killings!
Gale produces a picture of Leigh Pfiffer.
GALE
Do you recognize this young lady?

SALTARES
No... no, I’ve never seen her. Should I?

GALE
We’ll return in a moment. Sheriff?
Gale and Sheriff exit.

CUT TO:
INT. SHERIFF STATION -- BASEMENT HALLWAY -- MORNING

GALE and SHERIFF confer outside the interrogation room.
SHERIFF
What do you think?

GALE
Bob, I don’t think Saltares is the killer.

SHERIFF
You believe his story, then?

GALE
Yes, and furthermore, I think the killer may very well be the mysterious cult leader.

SHERIFF
Sounds good to me. Well, I can keep Saltares overnight without charging him. But since Millicent was a minor...

GALE
Bob, I think it may serve us better to release Saltares in the morning.
CUT TO:
EXT. TWINSBURG HOSPITAL -- FRIDAY NOON

CUT TO:
INT. MORGUE -- NOON

TERRENCE and DUNCAN enter. LEIGH’s body is on the examining table. LYNDON is standing beside her, grieving.
DUNCAN
I knew I’d wind up back in this backwoods compost heap before I got the ticks off my socks from the last time.

TERRENCE
Lyndon? We’re going to examine Leigh’s body now.

LYNDON
Yes... yes, all right, Doctor.

TERRENCE
Excuse us.

LYNDON
Yes. Thank you.

DUNCAN
Come on, chin up, man! Sniveling’s not going to do any good, unless you own a tissue company. Be a man!

LYNDON
Agent MacNeil, if you weren’t a federal officer, by golly, I’d show you what kind of a man I am, you... city boy!

DUNCAN
(puts down his briefcase)
Well, it looks like I just went off duty!
Lyndon punches Duncan square in the face.

CUT TO:
INT. HOSPITAL HALLWAY -- NOON

DUNCAN flies through the doors and lands on the floor. LYNDON emerges from the morgue and grabs him. Duncan throws him into the wall. They fight. TERRENCE follows them out into the hallway.
TERRENCE
Stop this! Lyndon! Agent MacNeil, this is an outrage!
Duncan and Lyndon slug it out and Lyndon gets the upper hand. He pins Duncan to the floor. Duncan holds his hands up in surrender and smiles.
DUNCAN
Whoa, there. You win. Finally, a man in this town I can respect! That’s a hell of a left jab there, Deputy.

LYNDON
You’re pretty good yourself.

DUNCAN
Come on, let’s get down to business.
They get up from the floor. Duncan is very chummy.

CUT TO:
EXT. HIGH SCHOOL -- FRIDAY AFTERNOON

CUT TO:
INT. SCHOOL HALLWAY -- AFTERNOON

KENT is at his locker. JAMES approaches him.
JAMES
Hey, Kent! What happened to you yesterday?

KENT
Look, why don’t you mind your own business?

JAMES
What is it with you? You’ve been acting weird ever since that Janet showed up. Is there something going on between you two?

KENT
Just leave me alone, all right?
Kent turns and accidentally walks into NICHOLAS, who is walking with PENNY. Kent growls in frustration and storms off.

CU -- JAMES squints at him.

CUT TO:
INT. GREY’S BIKE SHOP -- AFTERNOON

ELLIOTT comes out of the back of the shop, wiping his hands on a rag. He sees KIMMY and PATRICK outside the front window. Patrick gives Kimmy a large amount of cash and leaves. She puts it into her purse and enters the store.
KIMMY
Oh, hello.

ELLIOTT
What was that money your brother gave you?

KIMMY
Just a little loan. Nothing to worry about.
She embraces him.
ELLIOTT
Kimmy, are you in trouble again?

KIMMY
Of course not. We talked about that, remember?
She kisses him.

CUT TO:
EXT. SHERIFF STATION -- AFTERNOON

CUT TO:
INT. SHERIFF STATION -- CONFERENCE ROOM -- AFTERNOON

GALE and SHERIFF are eating doughnuts.
GALE
I remember from my vision the other night a beautiful woman made of light, a lady of light. I wonder if there is some connection to Saltares’ Lady of Night, some kind of yin-yang relationship.

SHERIFF
This metaphysical stuff is all way above me.
DUNCAN enters.
DUNCAN
Gentlemen. It looks as though our mysterious friend has made a repeat performance. I have your preliminary results for you.

GALE
Good work, Duncan.

SHERIFF
That didn’t take long.

DUNCAN
There wasn’t much left to work with this time.

GALE
What did you find?

DUNCAN
Hold on to your doughnuts, gentlemen, it’s not pleasant. Wounds on the wrists and ankles indicate that the victim was bound with barbed wire that was somewhat rusty. Her back was badly shredded, but marks around the area suggest she was viciously whipped. There were also several fresh burns detectable all over her body. Most of her digestive system was missing, due to disembowelment.

SHERIFF
My Lord...

DUNCAN
A real hatchet job. Makes Jack the Ripper look like the Pillsbury Doughboy.

GALE
Thank you, Duncan. Thorough as always.

SHERIFF
I think I need some air.
CUT TO:
INT. SHERIFF STATION -- LOBBY -- AFTERNOON

GALE, SHERIFF, and DUNCAN come out of the conference room. LYNDON is waiting, looking tough.
LYNDON
Agent MacNeil.

SHERIFF
Uh-oh.

DUNCAN
Deputy Pfiffer, let’s go get a beer.
Duncan and Lyndon exit together. Sheriff and Gale look at each other in bewilderment. ALBERT enters.
SHERIFF
Albert.

ALBERT
Bob, Agent Gale, I heard on the radio there’s been another murder.

GALE
That’s correct. Leigh Pfiffer.

ALBERT
Was it the same killer?

GALE
We believe it was.

ALBERT
Oh, no. Yes, I see. That’s terrible.

GALE
Did you know her?

ALBERT
No. No, I didn’t. But she was friends with Tuppence. They worked together at the library.

SHERIFF
Right. They were together at the funeral.

ALBERT
Yes, I’m going to go home and lay down for a while. I’m feeling very tired.

SHERIFF
That sounds like a good idea, Albert.
Albert exits.
GALE
Bob, I think we should pay Tuppence a visit.
CUT TO:
INT. KENT’S HOME -- AFTERNOON

KENT opens the front door and lets JANET in. They kiss passionately.
KENT
My mother won’t be home until late. She’s catering a big party this weekend.

JANET
Kent... we need to talk. I have something to tell you. Something important.

KENT
All right. Let’s sit down in the living room.
They go in and sit on the couch.
JANET
Kent... I need your help.

KENT
You know I’d do anything for you.

JANET
Would you? Would you truly?

KENT
Of course. Anything.

JANET
Kent, when I was younger, before I left Twinsburg, just out of high school, in fact, I had a job as a secretary, and I met Alan Cartwright. He became terribly infatuated with me and kept trying to get me to sleep with him. I told him I wasn’t interested, but he persisted. He’s a man used to getting what he wants. There was a company party, you see, and I’m afraid I got a little drunk. He was there and he took advantage of it and led me outside, where he raped me.

KENT
No...

JANET
I was so frightened afterwards, and he threatened to use his money and his influence against me if I made any trouble for him. I didn’t know what to do. I felt like it was my fault, somehow.

KENT
It wasn’t your fault.

JANET
Then, I found out I was pregnant. I told him, asked for his help, but he... forced me to have an abortion. I felt so helpless. He hounded me after that, and I had to leave town. Eventually, I wound up with some relatives in England.

KENT
That bastard!

JANET
I had thought that after all these years that the old wounds had healed enough for me to come home, but I was wrong. I’ve been having nightmares about him. His face has been haunting me, and every time the phone rings, my heart races, thinking it’s him. Oh, Kent, I’m so terrified of what he’ll do if he finds out I’ve returned.

KENT
It’s okay. You don’t have to worry about him anymore. I’ll take care of him.

JANET
What are you going to do?

KENT
He’ll pay for everything he’s done to you. I’ll make him pay...

JANET
Oh, Kent...
Pan down to the heating vent, through duct work to the basement, where JAMES has been listening in.

CU -- JAMES squints.

CUT TO:
EXT. COLLINS HOME -- AFTERNOON

GALE and SHERIFF knock on the front door.
SHERIFF
Mrs. Collins? Mrs. Collins, it’s Sheriff Armstrong!
No answer. They go around to the garage and look in the window.
SHERIFF
Well, her car’s still here. I can’t imagine where she’d be.

GALE
Then I think we should...
ZEKE shuffles up to the mailbox and puts the mail in. He waves at Gale, smiling. Gale waves back, squinting.
GALE
Bob, let’s try the back.
CUT TO:
INT. COLLINS HOME -- AFTERNOON

The back door opens. GALE and SHERIFF enter.
SHERIFF
It’s open.

GALE
Let’s take a look around.

SHERIFF
Mrs. Collins?

GALE
I don’t think anyone’s home, Bob.

SHERIFF
She’s not at the library. Her car’s in the garage...
Sheriff tries the basement door. It is locked.
SHERIFF
Locked.

GALE
Bob, take a look at this!
Gale reaches into the wastebasket and pulls out fresh, green maple leaves.
GALE
Maple leaves. Just like I found on my bed after my vision.

SHERIFF
Cigarette butts...

GALE
What’s that?

SHERIFF
There’s cigarette butts in the ashtray here. But Tuppence doesn’t smoke. Wait a minute. These are Albert’s brand.

GALE
Are you sure?

SHERIFF
He’s been smoking these for years.

GALE
Bob, what time did you leave Albert’s last night?

SHERIFF
About 8:15. Wait, you don’t think...

GALE
I think we’d better have a look in that basement.
They go to the basement door. Sheriff pushes on it with his shoulder. Gale motions him to stand back and kicks the door open. They pause, then Gale goes through the door.

CUT TO:
INT. COLLINS HOME -- BASEMENT -- AFTERNOON

GALE and SHERIFF come down the stairs and are shocked.
SHERIFF
Tuppence!
TUPPENCE, unconscious, is shackled to the far wall. They run over to her.
GALE
She’s been drugged. Mrs. Collins?

TUPPENCE
No... don’t kill her... don’t...

SHERIFF
The keys!
Sheriff goes over to a beam where the keys are hanging on a hook. Nearby is a shower curtain drawn across with boxes in front of it. Sheriff looks behind the curtain.
SHERIFF
Agent Gale, you’d better have a look at this.
Gale goes over. Sheriff pulls the curtain back. In a utility sink are an old broadsword and battleaxe, each with blood still on it. There is also blood in the sink.
GALE
The murder weapons. This is it, Bob. You’d better call in some more men. We’ve been barking up the wrong tree. Albert is our man!
CUT TO:
INT. DANI’S HOME -- FRIDAY EVENING

DANI enters, home from work. PATRICK is on the phone.
PATRICK
All right, look, I’ll call you back.
He hangs up.
DANI
Hello.

PATRICK
I want to talk to you.

DANI
What about?

PATRICK
How long is this Janet going to be staying here?

DANI
I don’t know, until she gets back on her feet. She’s going through some very bad times right now, and I want to help her through it.

PATRICK
Well, it’s pretty damn inconvenient for me.

DANI
For you? Why on earth would it inconvenience you? You’re hardly ever here anyway!

PATRICK
Look, don’t get smart. I just don’t like having strangers in my house, all right?

DANI
Janet is my friend.

PATRICK
So what? You could have asked me before inviting her to stay. It’s my house, after all.

DANI
This house is as much mine as it is yours. If I want to have a friend stay for a little while, I don’t see how that should affect you. The only stranger in this house is you!

PATRICK
You’re really asking for it.

DANI
This is pointless. I’m not going to argue with you. I had a hard day at work and I’m going to change clothes.
Dani exits. Patrick slams his hand on the table.

CUT TO:
INT. COLLINS HOME -- EVENING

GALE and SHERIFF are in the living room. Many DEPUTIES are milling about.
SHERIFF
Albert? This is like a nightmare that just keeps getting worse. It seems like everything I thought I knew about this family was all lies.

GALE
I know how you feel, Bob. Believe me.
TERRENCE enters as TUPPENCE is taken out on a stretcher.
TUPPENCE
Please... no more killing!

GALE
Doctor, how is she?

TERRENCE
Impossible to say, Agent Gale. We won’t know what kind of drug we’re dealing with until we run some tests. I pray she’ll be all right.

SHERIFF
Right. I hope we found her in time.

GALE
Bob, I want a guard on Tuppence’s hospital room at all times.

SHERIFF
Good idea.

TERRENCE
I’ll keep you posted on her condition.

GALE
Thank you, Doctor.
Terrence exits.
SHERIFF
I can’t believe Albert is a murderer. I mean, why would he kill his own daughter?

GALE
It’s difficult to trace the twisted logic of an insane individual, Bob. If Albert is, as we suspect, the mysterious cult leader Saltares spoke of, perhaps Millicent discovered his cult activities and sought out Saltares for information on Llewellyn and the Lady of Night.

SHERIFF
Not knowing that he was involved in it too.

GALE
Exactly. Then, when she was presented to Albert at the initiation rite, he took a sadistic pleasure in seeing her molested during the ritual. It seems he’d been abusing her for years already.

SHERIFF
Now, when I talked to him last night, he blamed Tuppence for abusing Millicent. Why? I mean, why mention it at all? I thought Saltares was the one.

GALE
Bob, we’ve seen that Albert can function normally in day-to-day life. It is often the case in situations such as this that the killer may not be aware of his evil activities.

SHERIFF
You mean like a split personality?

GALE
Yes. Therefore, he would naturally suspect Tuppence and come to actually believe that it was she who was the abuser.

SHERIFF
That makes sense. But why kill Leigh? I mean, she wasn’t connected to the cult.

GALE
Perhaps it was simply in revenge for befriending Tuppence. He may have been trying to punish Tuppence by alienating her, first taking away her daughter, then her friends.

SHERIFF
This is all pretty hard to take.

GALE
I understand. Why don’t we get some air to clear our minds?
CUT TO:
EXT. COLLINS HOME -- EVENING

GALE and SHERIFF come out the front door.
SHERIFF
I’ve known Albert Collins for as long as I can remember. I never imagined he was anything but a regular guy.

GALE
That’s almost always the...
NEW ANGLE

Across the street, ZEKE is standing under a streetlight, looking grim.

BACK TO SHOT
GALE
“I am where I know everyone’s name...” Of course! I’ve been so blind!

SHERIFF
What are you talking about?

GALE
The last thing Gruffydd said to me in my vision! “I am where I know everyone’s name!” Bob, who is the one person in town who could know everyone’s name?

SHERIFF
Well...

GALE
(points across the street)
The mailman!
NEW ANGLE

Across the street, the streetlight shines but Zeke has vanished.

BACK TO SHOT
GALE
We’ve got to talk to Zeke, Bob. Urgently!
CUT TO:
INT. STEAKHOUSE -- EVENING

Close-up of glasses of water on the table where JAMES and MEGAN are dining. Pull back to reveal them sitting across from each other.
JAMES
You look really nice tonight, Megan.

MEGAN
Thank you, James. That’s sweet.

JAMES
I’m glad we could have this chance to talk.

MEGAN
Yes. You said there was something important you wanted to tell me. I’ve been dying to know what it is.

JAMES
Well, you know how your brother got beaten up last Sunday?

MEGAN
Yes.

JAMES
I saw who did it.

MEGAN
Did you? Who?

JAMES
Duane Cartwright.

MEGAN
So that’s why they were fighting at school. But why didn’t you tell me this before?

JAMES
I took care of things for you, you see. I took care of Duane.

MEGAN
What do you mean?

JAMES
You know that big overcoat Duane always wears? Well, I found some pages from a diary in one of the pockets. It was Millicent’s diary, and it was all about how she and Duane were selling drugs at school.

MEGAN
What? No way! Millicent was selling drugs?

JAMES
It’s true. I heard Duane talking about it with his other partners. So, I turned the pages in to the sheriff, and Duane was arrested. All thanks to me. So now, Bradley’s attack has been avenged, and it’s time for my reward.

MEGAN
Reward? What are you talking about? What sort of reward?

JAMES
Why, you, of course. You should reward me with your affections.

MEGAN
Well, James, I like you...

JAMES
You don’t understand. I mean you should be my girlfriend. My lover.

MEGAN
James... I like you as a friend, but not more than that. And certainly not because you “avenged” my brother. That’s crazy.

JAMES
No, I deserve to have you. I’ve proved that.

MEGAN
You’re wrong, James. I don’t understand what’s gotten into you. No one deserves to have someone’s love. It has to be freely given if it’s to mean anything. You can’t earn it or win it. It’s a gift.

JAMES
Megan, you must be mine. It’s our destiny. Don’t fight it, or you’ll just cause us both needless pain.

MEGAN
No. What’s wrong with you? I thought you were my friend. If you’ve just been lusting after me, I...

JAMES
Megan...
Megan stands.
JAMES
Megan, we can talk this through. I’ll explain it so you understand. Please, let’s talk.

MEGAN
No, James. You’ve ruined it. I thought we were friends. I thought you knew how I felt. You’ve hurt me. I’m sorry, I have to go!

JAMES
(stands)
Megan...
Megan rushes out. James starts to follow, then stops. He is upset and looks around, then is surprised at who he sees:

NEW ANGLE

ALAN and JANET are having an intimate dinner, holding hands and flirting.

CUT TO:
INT. ALBERT’S APARTMENT -- FRIDAY NIGHT

ALBERT, looking agitated, motions to NICHOLAS and PENNY to have a seat on his sofa.
ALBERT
Please, sit yourselves down.

PENNY
We came over as soon as we could, Mr. Collins. You sounded so urgent on the phone. Is something wrong?

ALBERT
Yes. Something is terribly wrong, Penny. You are in grave danger. You need to be very careful...

NICHOLAS
Why?

ALBERT
You see, the person who killed Millicent has struck again.

PENNY
Yes, we heard on the radio they’d found a body in the valley this morning. But why do you think I’m in danger?

ALBERT
Well, you being Millicent’s best friend, the killer may come after you. Look, just trust me when I say your life is in danger. You mustn’t go anywhere alone, always let your family know where you are...

NICHOLAS
Mr. Collins, do you know something about the killings?

GALE (O.S.)
We’d like to know the same thing.
Albert turns around. GALE and SHERIFF enter.
SHERIFF
The door was open. Albert... I’m afraid I’m going to have to put you under arrest.

ALBERT
Why?

SHERIFF
For the murder of Millicent Collins.
CU -- ALBERT is shocked.

CUT TO:
EXT. NIGHT

A halogen lamp shines through a stand of maple trees.

CUT TO:
INT. KENT’S HOME -- NIGHT

KENT comes out of Aunt Elspeth’s room and locks the door. He walks downstairs, where JAMES is sitting in the living room.
KENT
What are you doing here?

JAMES
Where’s Janet?

KENT
She had to see a friend about getting a place to stay. She’s been staying with Dani, but--

JAMES
Well, that’s pretty strange, because I saw her having dinner with Alan Cartwright.

KENT
What?

JAMES
And they were being more than friendly. Especially Janet.

KENT
You’re out of your mind. She hates him. He--
JANET enters.
JANET
Sorry I’m so late getting back. I hope we have enough time before Rosemary gets back to--

JAMES
To what?

JANET
Oh. Hello.

JAMES
Hello, Janet. We were just talking about you. Weren’t we, Kent?

KENT
James...!

JAMES
Why don’t you ask her where she’s really been? Go on, what could it hurt?

JANET
Kent? What does he mean?

KENT
James says he saw you tonight, having dinner with Alan Cartwright. Were you?

JANET
I... I was... yes. Yes, Kent, I was.

KENT
Why?

JANET
Oh, dearest. He found out I was in town. I don’t know how. He’s blackmailing me. I didn’t want you to know. Please promise you won’t do anything rash. I wanted to plead with him to leave me alone now, but he’s mad. Now he’s trying to force me to... to...

KENT
(embraces her)
It’s all right. You’ve got nothing to be afraid of. I’m here.

JANET
I love you so much...
James squints at them fiercely.

CUT TO:
EXT. SHERIFF STATION -- NIGHT

CUT TO:
INT. SHERIFF STATION -- LOBBY -- NIGHT

GALE and SHERIFF enter with ALBERT in handcuffs. ABIGAIL is at her desk, and a DEPUTY is also present.
ALBERT
Bob, please, you’re making a terrible mistake!

SHERIFF
(to deputy)
Take him downstairs.
The deputy escorts Albert away. Abigail gasps. Sheriff and Gale turn around to see EMMA standing beside ZEKE in the doorway.
EMMA
I was on my way to buy butter when this kind gentleman flagged me down and asked if I would drive him here.

ZEKE
I am where I know everyone’s name.
CUT TO:
INT. SHERIFF STATION -- CONFERENCE ROOM -- NIGHT

GALE pours himself a cup of coffee. ZEKE is seated at the table, with SHERIFF standing beside him.
SHERIFF
Zeke, what’s this all about?
Zeke moans loudly as Gale walks up and sits on the table.
SHERIFF
Check his coat. I think he carries some pills!

ZEKE
There is no need for medicine. I am not in pain.

GALE
Who are you?

ZEKE
I am Gruffydd and I speak true
Llewellyn the one I pursue
Tunnels lead two ways
Beware! History is repeating itself!

GALE
What are you?

ZEKE
I am an inhabiting spirit.

GALE
Who is Zeke Chomski?

ZEKE
He is host to me.

GALE
You spoke to me in my vision... about Llewellyn.

ZEKE
He is my greatest enemy.

GALE
Where does Llewellyn come from?

ZEKE
Across the centuries he has walked under the veil of the Lady of Night, passing through her circle.

GALE
What does Llewellyn want?

ZEKE
He is Llewellyn. His was and has always been to sate the thirst of his Lady... with blood. Do you understand the parasite? It attaches itself to a life form and feeds. Llewellyn requires a human host. Through these souls he spreads his mistress’s darkness to other souls. These are the caves wherein he dwells. I am similar to Llewellyn. We once were mortal, but we now walk different paths. Black are the souls that bring him light...

GALE and ZEKE
Black the souls that bring delight...

ZEKE
Wither in the flames!
Enter, enter into my cave
Meet your killer, slave of a slave.
But then, I passed through my Lady’s golden circle. The Lady of Light touched my soul and loosed it from its mortal fetters. With her blessed guidance, I have moved along the centuries, inhabiting, from time to time, the purest of souls for one single purpose!

GALE
To find Llewellyn!

ZEKE
To stop him! His trail of the blood of innocents flows like a scarlet river. You know of only his latest victims: Theresa, Millicent, Leigh. But they are myriad in number. And he has already marked she who will die next.

GALE
Who?

ZEKE
That cannot be revealed. You know Llewellyn’s true face. Few can see it: the gifted and the damned. You must journey down the dark tunnel to stop the carnage forever.

GALE
I don’t understand.

ZEKE
You must find the amber circle. The answers you seek are already within you.

GALE
The Box Lady?

ZEKE
She is known to us here. Her gift has made her an unwitting ally. She has felt his presence.

GALE
Is Llewellyn near us now?

ZEKE
For nearly ten years.

GALE
Where?

ZEKE
In the branches that blow in the breeze
Deep within the maple trees!
Zeke closes his eyes. Gale and Sheriff are dumbfounded.

CUT TO:
INT. MEGAN’S BEDROOM -- NIGHT

MEGAN is in bed, tossing and turning. She is having a nightmare. Suddenly, she sits up.
MEGAN
Millicent!
FADE OUT



Cast of Characters


Special Agent Martin Gale, 34. FBI agent.
Sheriff Robert Armstrong, 36. Sheriff of Twinsburg.

Megan Thomas, 16. High school sophomore.
Bradley Thomas, 18. High school senior, Megan’s brother.
Alan Cartwright, 50. Real estate developer, mall owner.
Penny Gardner, 17. High school senior.
Lyle Terrence, 62. Local doctor.
Nicholas Grey, 17. High school senior.
Elliott Grey, 42. Owns bike shop, uncle of Nicholas.
Kent Clapsaddle, 16. High school sophomore.
Tuppence Collins, 46. Librarian.
Dani Clapsaddle, 29. Kent’s aunt by marriage.
Janet Flynn, 39. Twinsburg native returned from England.

James Clapsaddle, 18. High school senior, Kent’s uncle.
Lyndon Pfiffer, 26. Deputy.
Gabriel Saltares, 44. College professor.
Albert Collins, 48. Lawyer.
Abigail Voigt, 24. Sheriff’s secretary.
Patrick Clapsaddle, 33. Kent’s uncle, husband of Dani.
Duncan MacNeil, 38. FBI forensics expert.
Emma Corbett, 50. Local eccentric.
Kimmy Clapsaddle, 38. Kent’s aunt.
Leigh Pfiffer, 23. Corpse.
Zeke Chomski, 68. Mailman.

Deputies
High School Students


Next Episode