Episode 16

Twinsburg - Episode 16


FADE IN:

INT. STATE PENITENTIARY -- WEDNESDAY MORNING

CU -- MAN’S HAND flips a quarter into the air.

CU -- GUARD’S FEET walking through the corridors, his footsteps echoing loudly.

CU -- QUARTER flipping upwards.

CU -- GUARD’S FEET walking.

CU -- QUARTER flipping downwards.

CU -- GUARD’S FEET stop, a door opens, and he continues through it.

MED SHOT -- GUARD advances to a cell door and stops.

CU -- QUARTER tumbles into MAN’S HAND, which closes as he catches the coin. The hand opens again, revealing that the coin has landed heads up. Pan up to the man’s face. It is CHIP CLAPSADDLE.
CHIP
Heads.
MED SHOT -- CHIP, in his prison grays, and the GUARD walk side-by-side through the prison corridors, their footsteps echoing loudly.

CUT TO:
EXT. STATE PENITENTIARY -- MORNING

It is raining. The gate opens and CHIP, now wearing civilian clothes, steps through to freedom. He looks around a moment and scowls. Clutching his coat, he jogs across the road.

CUT TO:
EXT. RURAL ROAD -- MORNING

CHIP walks away through the rain.

CUT TO:
EXT. GAS STATION -- MORNING

CHIP enters a phone booth and makes a call.

CUT TO:
INT. KIMMY’S APARTMENT -- MORNING

Track through the apartment to the collection of porcelain figurines as the phone rings and rings. No one is home to answer it.

CUT TO:
EXT. GAS STATION -- MORNING

CHIP hangs up the phone and squints.

TRANSITION SHOT:

CU -- QUARTER heads up in the MAN’S HAND. Slow-motion.

CUT TO:
EXT. SHERIFF STATION -- MORNING

The rain continues to fall.

CUT TO:
INT. SHERIFF STATION -- CONFERENCE ROOM -- MORNING

GALE stands at the window, looking out into the rain. He is drinking a glass of milk. ABIGAIL enters with a tray of doughnuts.
ABIGAIL
Would you like a doughnut?

GALE
No, thank you.
Abigail turns to leave the room just as FOSGILL enters.
FOSGILL
Little lady, you are a sight for sore eyes! Rainy days and Sundays always make me hungry, and those doughnuts will sure fit the bill!
Fosgill takes three doughnuts.
FOSGILL
If you could leave us alone, I’ve got some private matters to discuss with Agent Gale! Thank you!

ABIGAIL
Yes, sir.
Abigail exits and shuts the door.
GALE
Franklin.

FOSGILL
Cute girl! Reminds me of my own first secretary! Now, I know you’re anxious, Martin, but these reviews are not something we can rush into! Still, been on the horn and I have to be getting over to Terra Haute this afternoon! Whole lot of shakin’ goin’ on in Terra Haute! Anyway, you’ll have my decision by lunchtime! Hot damn! These doughnuts are incredible!
CUT TO:
INT. CARTWRIGHT OFFICES -- MORNING

ALBERT and BRADLEY come down the hall.
ALBERT
About every two hours or so, someone from the mailroom brings the inter-office mail around to everyone. That way, we don’t have to take the time out to deliver everything ourselves. It’s a way of streamlining, really--
They come around a corner and see a large group of ENVIRONMENTAL ACTIVISTS standing around eating coffee cake and drinking beverages. ALAN is circulating among them, shaking hands and patting people on the back.
ALAN
Albert! Good! Come over here a minute! There’s someone I want you to meet.

ALBERT
Alan, what’s going on?

ALAN
This is River. He and his people are advising me on my new project to restore the local wetlands.

ALBERT
Wetlands?
Alan undoes Albert’s tie and collar while talking.
ALAN
Fascinating things, wetlands. Teeming with life, and all of it in such a delicate balance. We’re caretakers, Albert. It’s up to us to fulfill that role. It’s our duty as members of the ecosystem.
JANET enters.
JANET
Alan?

ALAN
(embraces her)
Janet! It’s good to see you. Please, help yourself to cake. Excuse me. Bradley, come and mingle! Someone’s had her eye on you, I think...
Alan rejoins the crowd with Bradley in tow. Albert takes Janet aside.
JANET
I came as soon as I got your message. What’s going on?

ALBERT
I don’t really know, to be honest. But I’m very concerned about Alan’s behavior lately. He’s been cancelling development projects left and right, many that are already under contract. This kind of recklessness could ruin us in no time. We’re already facing several potential lawsuits for breach of contract. It’s a mess, but he just won’t listen to reason.

JANET
(horrified)
Bankruptcy...

ALBERT
I thought if you could talk to him, get him to see what he’s doing. He seems to trust you.

JANET
Yes, I’ll do all I can. Depend on it.
CUT TO:
INT. SHERIFF STATION -- SHERIFF’S OFFICE -- MORNING

SHERIFF is throwing darts as GALE enters.
SHERIFF
How are you doing?

GALE
It doesn’t look good.

SHERIFF
What do you think is going to happen?

GALE
Franklin has several options open to him, the lightest being a warning, under which I would have to report on my progress daily. However, after last night’s experience with Brownturtle, I am feeling less than optimistic. Unless we can prove the girl was lying...

SHERIFF
Don’t count on it. I couldn’t believe it myself, so I’ve been doing a lot of checking. But according to all the records, that George Brownturtle did die ten years ago. And there doesn’t seem to be any record of anyone else by the name having lived in town. Or, hell, even been in town.

GALE
And yet he was at the Maple Lodge over the weekend. You sent me there yourself.

SHERIFF
Right, but they’ve got no record of paying anyone by that name for the weekend, or of receiving payment from anyone of that name, and the owner didn’t remember even inviting him as a storyteller. It just doesn’t check out.

GALE
There should be a roomful of witnesses to attest to his presence at the Old West Society meeting.

SHERIFF
Well, Lyndon and some men have the guest registration book, and they’re looking. We’ll know pretty soon.

GALE
It may already be too late.
CUT TO:
INT. SMALL AQUARIUM STORE -- MORNING

Brightly colored tropical fish are swimming in large tanks set into the wall. ELLIOTT and KIMMY watch them.
KIMMY
Aren’t they beautiful? Look at the colors.

ELLIOTT
They sure are pretty.

KIMMY
Wouldn’t it be wonderful to be a fish? Life would be so simple. Just swimming around all day. They don’t have anything to worry about. Just swim, swim, swim.

ELLIOTT
You know, honey, I can’t remember when you’ve been as happy as you’ve been the last couple days. It’s great to see you this way.

KIMMY
Oh, Elliott, I feel so light, like some tremendous burden has just been lifted right off my shoulders. I feel totally free. It’s wonderful. I don’t even miss my memories. I know that may sound cold-hearted, but I’m looking forward to starting fresh, without all the baggage I know I must have lost. I don’t want to remember the way I was. I want to start building new memories.

ELLIOTT
Well, I hope I’ll be in most of them.

KIMMY
Me, too.
She kisses him.

CUT TO:
EXT. SHERIFF STATION -- MORNING

Rain falls.

CUT TO:
INT. SHERIFF STATION -- SHERIFF’S OFFICE -- MORNING

GALE and SHERIFF are seated on either side of the desk when LYNDON enters.
SHERIFF
Lyndon!

GALE
What did you find?

LYNDON
It was really strange. We interviewed as many of the people on the guest list for the convention as we could get ahold of, but none of them could positively identify George Brownturtle, even when we showed them that photo we found in an old newspaper article. Some people remembered there was an Indian storyteller but couldn’t say for sure if it was him, and others just remembered the story and forgot the storyteller altogether.

SHERIFF
Weird.

GALE
Yes. I wonder. Thank you, Lyndon. You’ve done good work.
Lyndon exits.
SHERIFF
You wonder what?

GALE
Bob, when I talked to the Barretts yesterday, they told me about the existence of a secret society that worships the Lady of Light, a sort of counterpoint to the cult Millicent Collins became involved with.

SHERIFF
Rival cults? You think this is some kind of mystical gang war?

GALE
I do. But their weapons are no less real than those plaguing the inner cities. We’ve both seen their supernatural powers at work. I wonder if this mystery surrounding Brownturtle is yet another example.

SHERIFF
You mean they’re hiding him?

GALE
Perhaps. This second cult may be somehow drawing me into a final confrontation with the forces of Night. Working behind the scenes to further their cause.

SHERIFF
A showdown between you and Llewellyn?

GALE
I believe Llewellyn is part of a larger picture. When I spoke with Brownturtle, he told me I would travel to the end of the world to destroy the root of evil. Perhaps the Lady of Night herself.

SHERIFF
Sounds like a tall order.

GALE
He said I would need to use the “root of good” to accomplish my mission. What that root is and where, and how I am to find it has not yet been revealed to me. That may be why I need to find the Electrical Man.
Sheriff rubs his neck in bewilderment.

CUT TO:
INT. SHERIFF STATION -- LOBBY -- MORNING

ABIGAIL is watering the flowers in the lobby. Her watering can runs out, so she goes to the kitchenette to refill it. The kitchenette is partitioned off from the rest of the room. She hears a door close gently and someone approaching quietly. She quickly steps out from behind the partition and confronts LYNDON.
ABIGAIL
Ah-ha!
Lyndon jumps back, turns around, and starts to walk away.
ABIGAIL
Stop right there!
Lyndon stops, then fumbles with his sunglasses and puts them on.
ABIGAIL
I don’t know what’s gotten into you, Deputy Lyndon Pfiffer, but if you don’t stop acting so foolishly, I’m not going to have anything to do with you!

LYNDON
Abigail, I’m afraid I have very important official police business to do right now.
Lyndon rushes outside. Abigail fumes. Then, Lyndon comes back inside, gets his parka, and exits quickly. Abigail goes back to watering her plants, pouting. She happens to look up at the bulletin board and sees the poster for the Queen of Lights contest.
ABIGAIL
A challenge...
TRANSITION SHOT:

CU -- QUARTER flips upwards against a dark background. Slow-motion.

DOUBLE EXPOSURE:

CU -- QUARTER heads up in the MAN’S HAND. Slow-motion.

CUT TO:
EXT. SHERIFF STATION -- NOON

The rain continues to fall.

CUT TO:
INT. SHERIFF STATION -- CONFERENCE ROOM -- NOON

GALE is seated at the table when FOSGILL enters and puts his briefcase on the table. Fosgill sits down across from Gale.
GALE
Okay.

FOSGILL
Martin, you’re a good man, and a damn good Special Agent! The Bureau needs more people like you, men and women! You’ve come through for me more times than I can tell! But even the best of us sometimes get into the wrong groove! But to be brutally honest, times are tough, Martin, and we can’t have loose cannons rolling around the deck! Therefore, effective immediately, you are suspended from active duty pending a full psychological review! I’m sorry, Martin, but it’s for your own good!

GALE
And the Thomas case?

FOSGILL
Right! As you know, replacing an agent in the middle of an investigation is asking for trouble under the best of circumstances, so I’ve decided to bring in Agent Duke!

GALE
Wynton Duke? Franklin, you can’t be serious!

FOSGILL
Continuity, Martin, that’s our watchword, and no one understands how you think better than Wynton Duke! I know you two don’t see eye to eye, but I expect you to give him your full cooperation on this case!

GALE
I will... because the people of Twinsburg deserve to have this killer brought to justice.

FOSGILL
I have to ask you to surrender your badge and your gun!
Gale stands and places his badge and his gun on the table. Fosgill stands and places the surrendered items in his briefcase.
FOSGILL
Time for me to hit the road to Terra Haute! I’ll be in touch, Martin! Take it easy for a few days! Get some rest, you look tired! And remember, it rains on the just and the unjust!

GALE
Thank you, Franklin.
Fosgill exits. Gale squints.

CUT TO:
EXT. TWINSBURG INN -- WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON

It is raining. In his car, JEREMY watches the front of the building. The engine is running. YVONNE emerges from the building and opens her umbrella. As she steps off the curb, Jeremy launches the car towards her. Yvonne is startled. She throws herself back onto the sidewalk as the car races past. Her umbrella hits the windshield and flies off. She lands hard on the pavement. The car races off without stopping. Yvonne lies on the sidewalk, unconscious, with rain falling on her.

CUT TO:
INT. ROSEMARY’S PASTRY SHOP -- AFTERNOON

Pan across the counter which ROSEMARY is wiping off, then over to a table where GALE and SHERIFF are having lunch.
SHERIFF
Are you going to eat that?
Gale slides his plate over to Sheriff and looks out the window.
SHERIFF
For some reason, I’m famished! Martin, I know things look pretty bad, but we’re not going to let this guy get away. We’ll get him and we’ll sort out this business with Llewellyn, too. Don’t let it get you down. They’re sending out another agent, right?

GALE
Yes.

SHERIFF
Well, look, maybe he’ll understand about this weird stuff, you know? We could talk to him, tell him about Tuppence--

GALE
I’m afraid that would be fruitless. Wynton Duke has never been very sensitive to the spiritual side of life. He’s a strictly no-nonsense agent. And a good one.

SHERIFF
Why do I get the feeling there’s a lot more you’re not telling me?

GALE
Agent Duke and I go back many years, to my earliest days in the Bureau. And there’s a lot of what might be termed “bad blood” between us.

SHERIFF
Yeah, I can tell.
OREGON enters and goes to the counter.
GALE
Duke was my first partner. A partnership that ended in tragedy. We were... wait a minute.
Gale sees Oregon. Sheriff turns around and looks.
SHERIFF
What is it?

GALE
Call it a hunch.
Gale gets up and approaches Oregon. Sheriff follows.
GALE
Excuse me.

OREGON
Oh, well, uh, howdy there, uh, sir. Yer that FBI fella, ain’t ya? Yeah...

GALE
I have a few questions I would like to ask you.

OREGON
Well, if’n it’s more bout the legends o’ these parts, yer barkin’ up the wrong tree. I don’t really know much about that stuff, but ol’ Dan and Don, now those boys is the ones to...

GALE
Actually, I wonder if you were at the meeting of the Old West Legendarium Society held at the Maple Lodge over the weekend.

OREGON
Sure was. In fact, both me and this little filly were up there most o’ the weekend, ain’t that right, sweetheart?

ROSEMARY
Yes, we were there all three days.

GALE
Was there a Native American storyteller present any of those days?

OREGON
Well, now, they always has at least one o’ them Indian storytellers. Sometimes two, one for the kids and then one for everybody, you know, usually for Friday night, like.

ROSEMARY
Yes, that’s right. He was really good, too.

GALE
Can you tell me his name?

OREGON
Well, let’s see...

ROSEMARY
He was, um... Funny, I don’t remember. And I’m usually really good with names.

OREGON
Had a Indian-soundin’ name, I reckon. What was that? Squatting Buffalo? Hell, I cain’t even picture him. Sorry.

GALE
Thank you for your time.
Gale looks at Sheriff, then looks away and squints.

CUT TO:
INT. MALL -- AFTERNOON

JEAN is walking through the mall, looking vaguely ill-at-ease. She stops for a moment to look at a sales rack in front of a clothing store. The storefront is heavily mirrored, and Jean glances into one of the mirrors. In the reflection, she sees JAMES in the crowd, looking back at her. Startled, she turns around.

NEW ANGLE -- JEAN’S P.O.V.

People pass by, but James is nowhere to be seen.

BACK TO SHOT

Jean looks confused as she moves on. She enters a bookstore.

CUT TO:
INT. BOOKSTORE -- AFTERNOON

JEAN enters and looks at the magazine rack. JAMES suddenly appears behind her.
JAMES
Hello, there.

JEAN
Did I just see you?

JAMES
I don’t think so. I’ve been in here for a while.

JEAN
I’m sorry. Hello.

JAMES
How are you? You look really great.

JEAN
(distractedly)
Thanks.

JAMES
Can I ask you a question? Do you always wear denim? I mean, every time I see you, you’re like head-to-toe in denim, so I guess you make a point of it.

JEAN
Oh, well, it’s my style, I guess. Goes along with the nickname.

JAMES
Right. It’s really cute. I mean, Blue Jean in blue jeans.

JEAN
Right. Um... I really have to go. Excuse me.

JAMES
Hey, don’t be a stranger. I’ll see you later.
CUT TO:
INT. MALL -- AFTERNOON

JEAN exits the bookstore and walks quickly down the mall. She is very tense. She looks behind her and sees JAMES back in the crowd, following her. She starts running frantically through the crowd and then into the women’s restroom.

CUT TO:
INT. WOMEN’S RESTROOM -- AFTERNOON

JEAN leans against the far wall next to the mirrors, so her reflection can be seen next to her. She is out of breath and very frightened.

CUT TO:
EXT. SHERIFF STATION -- AFTERNOON

The rain continues to fall.

CUT TO:
INT. SHERIFF STATION -- LOBBY -- AFTERNOON

GALE and SHERIFF enter. YVONNE is waiting, and she rushes up to Sheriff and embraces him.
YVONNE
Bob!

SHERIFF
Hey, what’s wrong? Yvonne? What happened?

YVONNE
Someone tried to kill me! They tried to run me over -- I was just...

SHERIFF
What? Hey, hey -- slow down. Tell me what happened.

YVONNE
I was coming out of the hotel. I put my umbrella up, and I went to cross the parking lot, and this car -- it came out of nowhere -- this car came right at me and they tried to run me down. I got out of the way, but they kept going. They drove off. I was stunned -- I hit my head, landing.

GALE
Could you identify the car?

YVONNE
No... it happened too fast. I barely had time to react.

SHERIFF
Can you tell us anything? Did you get a look at the driver?

YVONNE
No, my umbrella flew up, it hit the windshield. I couldn’t see anything.

GALE
Ms. Temple, do you have any idea why someone would want to make an attempt on your life?

YVONNE
No, I -- no.

SHERIFF
She got a warning yesterday. An anonymous note.

GALE
Undoubtedly from the attacker.

SHERIFF
Yvonne, I’m going to assign a deputy to you on a 24-hour basis, all right? We’re not going to let you out of our sight until we find out who’s behind this.

YVONNE
Thank you.

GALE
Any assistance I can give...

SHERIFF
...Will be more than appreciated, believe me.
Sheriff walks Yvonne back to a chair as Gale looks on, concerned.

CUT TO:
EXT. BOWLING ALLEY -- WEDNESDAY EVENING

A large neon sign blinks in the rainy dusk.

CUT TO:
INT. BOWLING ALLEY -- EVENING

DUANE carries two bottles of beer to a table where NICHOLAS is sitting. He sits down across from Nicholas and puts the bottles on the table.
NICHOLAS
Come on, man, you know I don’t drink.

DUANE
Don’t worry. These are both for me.

NICHOLAS
Okay, look, man, I want to know what’s going on with you.

DUANE
Right. Okay, I know I said a lot of stuff when I was locked up, but it ain’t like that anymore, man. All that got me was working for the cops and almost ending up with my face blown off. Patrick had that baby about an inch away, man, and I knew I was worm food. Talk about a bad trip. Anyway, you can relax, that’s all. I’m not out to trash you.

NICHOLAS
Yeah, well, that’s great. But I don’t know, man. Why should I trust you?

DUANE
Hey, I’m not asking you to trust me, I’m telling you how it is. If I was gonna do you, man, I’d have done it already. I’m just not getting mixed up in that crud, it ain’t worth it no more.

NICHOLAS
Okay.
CHIP suddenly appears and sits down between them.
CHIP
Hey, hey, hey, look who it is! My two bestest buddies in the whole world! Did you miss me? Huh?
Chip takes one of the beers and drinks from it. Nicholas and Duane recognize him with unpleasant surprise.

CUT TO:
INT. SHERIFF STATION -- LOBBY -- EVENING

ABIGAIL is at her desk getting ready to go home. BRADLEY enters.
ABIGAIL
Hello, Bradley. May I help you?

BRADLEY
Yeah, I need to talk to Agent Gale.
GALE and SHERIFF come in from the hall.
GALE
What can I do for you, Bradley?

BRADLEY
I need to tell you something. About Megan.
Gale and Sheriff exchange glances.

CUT TO:
INT. SHERIFF STATION -- CONFERENCE ROOM -- EVENING

GALE, SHERIFF, and BRADLEY enter.
GALE
Have a seat.
They all sit at the table.
SHERIFF
What’s on your mind, Bradley?

BRADLEY
Okay, I thought about this for a long time. I wasn’t sure if I ought to tell you guys, but I’m just going to get it out, whatever happens. Cause I don’t know anymore, man.

GALE
Go on.

BRADLEY
The day before she died, Megan went out with James Clapsaddle. They went on a hike or something, I don’t know. She didn’t really say, but she wore her tennis shoes, and I mean, she never wore those shoes unless she was in the woods or something. She got home later in the evening, this was Saturday, right, and she was really upset. I heard her crying in her room, and I got mad, because of that James, and I went in and her clothes were torn and her make-up was like smeared across her face. I asked what happened, but she couldn’t talk cause she was too upset. But I knew it was that James, that he did something, and I got so angry! So I went out and I found him and I...

GALE
You attacked him.

BRADLEY
I was just trying to get him back. I wanted to get him back for hurting her.

SHERIFF
Are you saying James attacked your sister?

BRADLEY
I don’t know. I thought so, yeah, but maybe she just fell down a ravine or something, you know? It could have been anything. But I didn’t think of anything then, I just hauled off and pounded him. She was hurt and I just held him responsible.

SHERIFF
Is that why you blamed him for her death? You said he killed her.

BRADLEY
I don’t know. All I know is, man, that guy is not normal.

GALE
What do you mean?

BRADLEY
He’s just always been a total weirdo. He never does anything with anybody. I never see him after school, or hardly ever. And then he was following Megan around for months before they were friends. And he’s always talking all kinds of crazy stuff.

GALE
Bradley, the day before yesterday, a girl came in who bears a striking resemblance to Megan. Blond hair, denim coat.

BRADLEY
That’s my cousin Jean. They always kind of looked alike. She came up to stay for a while, mostly to help Mom out with the chores and stuff.

GALE
And have she and James met, to your knowledge?

BRADLEY
Yeah. I told her to stay away from him, though.

GALE
That may be wise at this point. Thank you for coming forward with this, Bradley. I realize your actions in the matter were far from commendable, but under the circumstances, they are, at least, understandable. And the information will surely be helpful to the investigation.

BRADLEY
Right, well, okay.
Bradley exits. Gale squints, then stands up.
SHERIFF
What are you going to do?

GALE
Frankly, Bob, there’s nothing I can do.
Gale exits. Sheriff squints.

CUT TO:
EXT. RAMONA’S HOME -- EVENING

It is raining as a dilapidated pick-up truck pulls up around the run-down house and into the garage. RAMONA, the driver, and KENT get out and run up to the back of the house. Ramona opens the door and they go inside.

CUT TO:
INT. RAMONA’S HOME -- EVENING

KENT and RAMONA enter the kitchen through the back door.
RAMONA
Take off your shoes, okay?

KENT
Sure.
They both take their shoes off. Ramona leads Kent into the living room and gestures for him to sit on the couch. He does, and she sits down next to him. He looks around the cluttered room.
KENT
I’m glad you brought me here. I feel like you trust me.

RAMONA
I do. We’re kindred spirits. I see that in us, plain as day. I can trust you with my secret, and I need to trust you with it.

KENT
Why?

RAMONA
I can’t explain. I want you to know the truth about my grandfather.

KENT
The truth? What do you mean?

RAMONA
Come on, I’ll show you.
They stand. Ramona opens the closet and takes out a ceremonial robe, which she puts on. She leads Kent to a bedroom door and opens it. They go in. The room is dark and empty, except for an intricately carved wooden table in the center of the room. On the table is a box under a black cover. On the floor, a ring of candles surrounds the table. As Kent watches, Ramona lights the candles and removes the covering from the box. She lifts the lid and the sides of the box fall away, revealing a human skull wearing a beaded headband.
RAMONA
This is my grandfather, Brownturtle, vision-maker on the Plain of Spirits.
Kent stares at the skull in amazement.

CU -- SKULL

CUT TO:
INT. DANI’S HOME -- EVENING

GALE and DANI are having dinner.
DANI
I can’t believe they did that to you. I can’t believe it.

GALE
I admit I did not expect things to come to this, especially with my investigations at this stage.

DANI
What’s going to happen? There’s a killer running around loose. Nobody feels safe anymore. What are they going to do about it?

GALE
Franklin has assigned another agent to take over the case.

DANI
Well, that’s something. Do you know who it is? Are you going to be working with him?

GALE
It’s Wynton Duke.

DANI
What? No...

GALE
Franklin believes that Duke is best suited to pick up where I left off. And he’s right. Duke knows how I think, better than anyone.

DANI
You can’t work with him. Not after...

GALE
It’s a simple matter of briefing him on the case before I go. I owe that to the people here threatened by this killer.

DANI
Before you go where?

GALE
I will return to Bureau headquarters, where I will be debriefed before undergoing a full psychological review.

DANI
Then, will you be back?

GALE
No. Few agents are able to rebuild their careers after the process. Having one’s psychological fitness called into question carries a lasting stigma. I’m afraid it’s a fact of the business.

DANI
A cruel one. It’s not fair! You’re not crazy, how can they do that to you?

GALE
There’s still time, and I face a far greater challenge. This may be the chance I’ve needed to devote myself fully to stopping Llewellyn. I need to learn everything I can about this Feast of the Abyss and if it’s connected to any criminal activities. My guess is there may be some historical pattern that will help us know what to expect this time. I just need to find it.

DANI
I’ll help in any way I can. Just tell me.

GALE
Thank you.
CUT TO:
INT. TWINSBURG INN -- LOBBY -- EVENING

KENT enters and sees JAMES waiting for him. They meet and head for the elevator.
JAMES
You’re late.

KENT
I couldn’t help it. I got here as fast as I could.

JAMES
All right, forget it.
The elevator doors open and they enter.

CUT TO:
INT. TWINSBURG INN -- ELEVATOR

KENT and JAMES stand next to each other.
KENT
Are you sure about this? We could get into a lot of trouble.

JAMES
Of course I’m sure. What’s gotten into you?

KENT
Nothing.

JAMES
Janet is out, I made sure of that. Her son’s here, did you know that?

KENT
What?
CUT TO:
INT. TWINSBURG INN -- HALLWAY -- EVENING

KENT and JAMES emerge from the elevator and head down the hall.
JAMES
From England. He’s older than you.

KENT
Her son? Well, is he here?

JAMES
Of course not, would we be doing this if he was here? “Oh, hello, excuse us while we ransack your room. Won’t be a minute, old chap.”

KENT
All right. This just makes me nervous.

JAMES
Look, it’s simple. We go in, grab the cassette, and we’re out of there. Got it?

KENT
Wait a minute, how are we going to get into their room?
James produces a key from his pocket and moves it around in front of Kent’s face.
JAMES
I “borrowed” it from the housekeeping office. Now, quiet!
They approach the door to the suite. James unlocks the door and they go in.

CUT TO:
INT. TWINSBURG INN SUITE -- EVENING

KENT and JAMES enter.
JAMES
Check around.
They search the room. James is much more reckless, dumping out drawers and tossing them onto the bed. Kent checks more gingerly. James is digging through a pile of clothes when he is suddenly grabbed from behind. It is JEREMY. He throws James into the wall and punches him in the stomach. Kent attacks, but Jeremy punches him in the face and sends him falling backwards. James tries to make a run for it, but Jeremy grabs him again and throws him into the bathroom. James tumbles into the bathtub, ripping down the shower curtain. Jeremy seizes him by the coat.
JEREMY
I should kill you, you little bastard!
Jeremy is suddenly bashed on the head from behind. It is Kent with a heavy smoked-glass ashtray. Jeremy collapses, stunned. James pushes past him, and he and Kent run from the room. Bleeding profusely, Jeremy turns and roars.

CUT TO:
INT. TWINSBURG LIBRARY -- EVENING

The library is deserted except for GALE and SHERIFF, who are looking at microfilm of old newspapers. The ELDERLY LIBRARIANS approach.
1ST LIBRARIAN
We’re just closing up now, Sheriff.

2ND LIBRARIAN
Of course, you’re welcome to stay as late as you like. You and the Special Agent.

SHERIFF
Thank you, ladies.

1ST LIBRARIAN
Of course, I meant they could stay. That’s how I meant it.

2ND LIBRARIAN
I say what I mean.

SHERIFF
Good night.

1ST LIBRARIAN
Good night. We won’t bother you, then. Good night, Mr. Agent.

2ND LIBRARIAN
Yes, good night, then.

GALE
Good night.
The librarians exit. Sheriff smiles and shakes his head.
GALE
Bob, take a look at this.

SHERIFF
What have you got?
On the screen is a newspaper article from 1951 with a picture of a teenage girl. The headline reads “FESTIVAL QUEEN VANISHES.”
SHERIFF
What about it?

GALE
Rebecca Delargy, age 17. Disappeared shortly after being named Queen of Lights 1951. The case was never solved. And it wasn’t the first such case.

SHERIFF
Well, we’ve had our share of disappearances over the years. Kids run away, things happen. The PTA and the Maple Lodge Elders asked me to look into it several years ago, but I couldn’t find any pattern or anything.

GALE
The pattern is there, you just couldn’t see it. Queen of Lights 1951. Queen of Lights 1915. Queen of Lights 1879. Queen of Lights 1843, the very first competition. Each time, the Queen disappeared the weekend of the festival, never to be seen again.

SHERIFF
What’s the connection?

GALE
On each date, the Queen of Lights contest fell on the very same day as the Feast of the Abyss. And it happens again this year.
They both look at the microfilm-reader screen and squint.

CU -- PHOTO of Rebecca Delargy on the microfilm-reader screen.

FADE OUT



Cast of Characters

Special Agent Martin Gale, 34. FBI agent.
Sheriff Robert Armstrong, 36. Sheriff of Twinsburg.

Jean Bellew, 19. Megan’s lookalike cousin.
Bradley Thomas, 18. High school senior, Jean’s cousin.
Alan Cartwright, 50. Real estate developer, mall owner.
Duane Cartwright, 18. High school senior, Alan’s son.
Rosemary Clapsaddle, 40. Owns pastry shop/catering service.
Nicholas Grey, 17. High school senior.
Elliott Grey, 42. Owns bike shop, uncle of Nicholas.
Kent Clapsaddle, 16. High school sophomore, Rosemary’s son.
Abigail Voigt, 24. Sheriff’s secretary.
Dani Clapsaddle, 29. Rosemary’s sister-in-law.
Janet Flynn, 39. Twinsburg native returned from England.

James Clapsaddle, 18. High school senior, Rosemary’s brother.
Lyndon Pfiffer, 26. Deputy.
Albert Collins, 48. Lawyer.
Kimmy Clapsaddle, 38. Sister of Rosemary.
Franklin Fosgill, 52. FBI regional supervisor.
Yvonne Temple, 36. Environmentalist, mother of Duane.
Oregon Blackthorn, 35. Wild West enthusiast.
Ramona Wingfeather, 18. Maple Lodge janitor, Native American.
Jeremy Flynn, 20. Criminal mastermind, son of Janet.
Chip Clapsaddle, 31. Ex-con, Rosemary’s half-brother.

Elderly Librarians
Prison Guards
Environmental Activists
Townspeople


Next Episode