Episode 20

Twinsburg - Episode 20


FADE IN:

EXT. WOODS -- SATURDAY NIGHT

Carrying powerful flashlights, GALE, KRIZMAN, and the MAPLE LODGE ELDERS walk through the woods. They come upon the pit filled with dark water and surrounded by mossy rocks. The full moon shines on the water.
KRIZMAN
This is the place. Here is the gateway into the Shadowrealm. Are you ready to begin your journey?

GALE
Yes.

KRIZMAN
Remember this: Time is of the essence.
Krizman and the Maple Lodge Elders form a circle around the pit, shining their flashlights on the water’s surface. Gale stands at the edge and looks down into the water.
MAPLE LODGE ELDERS
From the darkness to the light
In the flames beyond your sight
Shadows of the soul
Enter now the hole

Daylight dims to howling night
Souls released into their flight
Doorways of the soul
Enter now the hole
Gale steps down into the water and fades away. The Maple Lodge Elders repeat the chant.

NEW ANGLE

Watching from a short distance, hidden in the brush, is SALTARES. He moves away quietly.

CUT TO:
INT. SHERIFF STATION -- LOBBY -- NIGHT

LYNDON and ABIGAIL sit close together, but they do not look at each other.
ABIGAIL
I was so worried when the lights went out. I mean, I couldn’t help thinking what if something happened because we couldn’t see and one of us got hurt or something, and then we would have all those problems of being in the hospital, and then if you got hurt, I wouldn’t have a bodyguard and then who knows what could happen then? That’s when I thought how silly I was to be going on like that, but what happened was, I didn’t know why you were avoiding me all week, so I asked the Sheriff’s girlfriend, because, after all, she’s traveled all over the world, and she said you were getting bored and needed a challenge.

LYNDON
A challenge? What kind of a challenge?

ABIGAIL
She said if you felt I was a challenge, then you’d stop avoiding me, so I entered the contest because the Queen of Lights is sort of glamorous.

LYNDON
Oh, pooky, I don’t need a challenge. I did it for you. I thought maybe I should stay away from you because I’m dangerous. I killed a man. I shot him right in the head and he died right there on the floor. And I meant to do it. I never killed anybody before, and they always say it gets easier after you do it once, and I didn’t think it was safe for you to be around me if I can be so bloodthirsty.

ABIGAIL
Oh, shoogums, I don’t feel safe anywhere except when I’m with you.
They look at each other.
LYNDON
Oh, pooky...

ABIGAIL
Shoogums...
They kiss. SHERIFF comes by and stops several DEPUTIES in front of Lyndon and Abigail.
SHERIFF
Was there any sign of their vehicle, which way they might have gone?

2ND DEPUTY
No, sir. Nothing.

SHERIFF
Damn it! They can’t have just vanished. Everyone knew Yvonne. How did they get her through our security perimeter without anyone noticing anything?

3RD DEPUTY
Sir, three of the deputies from over in Dunham didn’t check in after the kidnapping. I just called the Dunham sheriff, but he said none of his men had even been able to come.

SHERIFF
You’re saying we had impostors?

3RD DEPUTY
It looks that way. But they were sure good. Everything checked out when they signed in this morning.

SHERIFF
They played us like a bunch of hicks and made off with Yvonne when I should have been expecting it! And what the hell happened to Agent Gale?

4TH DEPUTY
Nobody’s seen him, Sheriff. But that other fed, Agent Duke, he left here late this morning.

SHERIFF
Good.

4TH DEPUTY
Yeah, but he took one of the prisoners with him. He was supposed to have him back by nine, but they never showed up.

SHERIFF
What? Which prisoner?

4TH DEPUTY
Professor Saltares.

SHERIFF
Saltares? What did he want with him?
Sheriff squints.

CUT TO:
EXT. NEIGHBORHOOD STREET -- SUNDAY MORNING

A girl rides her bicycle down the sidewalk, a bag of newspapers slung across the handlebars. Church bells chime in the distance.

CUT TO:
EXT. VALLEY -- MORNING

A train slowly pulls across a crumbling old bridge over the river.

CUT TO:
INT. KENT’S HOME -- KITCHEN -- MORNING

KENT staggers in the back door. ROSEMARY and OREGON, in bathrobes, are eating breakfast.
ROSEMARY
Kent!
Rosemary rushes over to Kent and helps him to the table.
ROSEMARY
Sit down! Where have you been?

OREGON
Look at his wrists! He’s been hog-tied!

ROSEMARY
Kent, what happened to you? What’s going on?

KENT
Janet... she wants revenge... on everyone. Cartwright... why she came back. Kidnapped me... her and her son... framed James... the festival... festival...

ROSEMARY
What? What’s he talking about?

OREGON
He’s beat. Let him get some rest, and we’ll go to the Sheriff.

ROSEMARY
Oh, my baby...
Rosemary embraces Kent and rocks him gently.

CUT TO:
EXT. OLIVERA MANSION -- MORNING

CUT TO:
INT. OLIVERA MANSION -- KITCHEN -- MORNING

NICHOLAS and DUANE enter through the kitchen door.
NICHOLAS
It’s open.

DUANE
Doesn’t look like anybody’s here, man.

NICHOLAS
Let’s just check around. I don’t trust Chip. Who knows what he did after you clobbered him.

DUANE
C’mon, Grey. I don’t like this...
CUT TO:
INT. OLIVERA MANSION -- DINING ROOM -- MORNING

NICHOLAS and DUANE enter through the door from the kitchen.
NICHOLAS
Look!
Duane is stunned. ANASTASIA is still tied to the dining room table. She is dead. They go over to her body.
DUANE
Jeez...

NICHOLAS
He just left her here... She must have died like this. How could he... He murdered her!
Duane stares at the body in horror. Then he looks at Nicholas. Suddenly, Duane bolts from the room.
NICHOLAS
Duane! Duane!!
CUT TO:
EXT. OLIVERA MANSION -- MORNING

DUANE runs away from the house. Slow-motion.

CUT TO:
INT. CARTWRIGHT OFFICES -- MORNING

ALAN is sitting on his desk, watching old home movies projected onto a portable screen. The flickering images show Alan, Yvonne, and baby Duane at Christmas. They seem very happy. ALBERT enters the office.
ALBERT
Alan, you wanted a special meeting? What’s up?

ALAN
Come in, Albert, come in.
Alan turns off the projector.
ALAN
There’s something very important I have to discuss with you.

ALBERT
What is it?

ALAN
Albert, we’ve been working together for a very long time, haven’t we? I mean, we’re like partners, you and I. We help each other out, give each other advice.

ALBERT
Yes, but...

ALAN
And I have always known I could count on you to tell me the truth. I can’t tell you how important that is to me. When a man reaches my position, it becomes very difficult not to be surrounded by babbling yes-men. But you, Albert, you are different.

ALBERT
Well, Alan, I...

ALAN
Albert, I have crossed the Rubicon. I see now what I must do. As you know, lately I have been going through a process of self-reëvaluation. And I have come to realize the extent of the baggage I’ve been carrying. And my path has become clear. Here, in this office, I’ve become soft. Developing real estate, wheeling and dealing, what does it all mean? I’ve lost touch with the primal elements of my nature, those drives deep within that make us men. And so, I am leaving it all behind, Albert, and I am going to the Yukon.

ALBERT
The Yukon?

ALAN
Yes. To where the land is rugged and the air is clean. Where a man can be truly alone to discover himself and his role as a man. But needless to say, I am aware of my responsibilities here, and so I am placing this company into your hands, Albert. I want you to take over for me.

ALBERT
Alan, I don’t know what to say.

ALAN
Albert, words are nothing to a man. What matters is action!
Alan embraces Albert and pats him on the back.

CUT TO:
INT. KENT’S HOME -- LIVING ROOM -- MORNING

KENT sits in a chair drinking hot chocolate. OREGON enters.
OREGON
Your mother and I reckon you ought to tell the Sheriff what you know ’bout them kidnappers. Somebody got kidnapped from the Festival of Lights last night, too. So why don’t we go down to the station?

KENT
No.

OREGON
Look, I know these owlhoots is bad news, and they worked you over pretty good, but they got justice comin’ to ’em. And the Sheriff’s the one to even the score. You know where they’re holed up. You gotta tell the law!

KENT
I can’t do it!

OREGON
What’re you talkin’ about, boy?

KENT
You don’t know what they did to me. From her first day here, she had me wrapped around her little finger. She turned me inside out. I just want to forget it, all right? I can’t do it! I just can’t!

OREGON
Now, you listen to me. In the days o’ the Old West, a man knew his duty and he did it. There weren’t no shortage o’ evil in the world then, and many a strong man got laid low by it. But then, he can either sit hunched over his whiskey with his hands shakin’ so hard he cain’t hold his pistol, or he can get up on his feet and see that justice comes to whoever done him wrong. Now, I ain’t sayin’ you should take the law into your own hands, but the Sheriff ain’t got no magic crystal ball, so he needs every citizen to do their part. Y’see, if there’s gwine to be justice in a man’s life, he has to see to it himself that it gets done. There’s a lot o’ talk about heroes in the Old West, but it weren’t bein’ a good killer what made a man a hero. It was doin’ right no matter what it cost. And every man knows in his heart what’s right, otherwise he’s just a low-down snake what thinks he’s a man. Now, what you gwine to do? What you gwine to be?

KENT
All right. I’ll do it.
CUT TO:
EXT. VALLEY -- MORNING

NICHOLAS and PENNY meet by a large rock next to the river. They embrace.
PENNY
What is it? What’s wrong?

NICHOLAS
It’s nothing. Don’t worry about it. Duane and I ran into some bad stuff.

PENNY
What happened?

NICHOLAS
You’re not involved. It’s better to keep it that way.

PENNY
Nicholas...

NICHOLAS
It’s going to be okay. I love you.

PENNY
I love you so much. But we just can’t rush things. That was wrong of us. I’m not ready to...

NICHOLAS
It’s okay.

PENNY
I dream about our future together, and it’s so perfect. But we have to get there one step at a time. I want to go to college and get my head together before we make that kind of commitment to each other. I think we should wait until after college.

NICHOLAS
Well, I don’t think I’m going to college. It’s just not for me. There’s been so much going on, so much I have to sort out. I’m just going to get on my bike and go. And just ride. It’s something I need to do.

PENNY
I’ll miss you.

NICHOLAS
Come with me.

PENNY
(tearfully)
I can’t, Nicholas. I can’t. But you go. And you’ll come back with lots of great stories, and we’ll be together. It will all work out. I know it will.

NICHOLAS
I’ll never stop loving you. Whatever happens.
They kiss.

CUT TO:
EXT. WOODS IN SUMMER -- DAY

GALE finds himself at the top of a stone staircase leading down into the woods. He descends, looking at the sunlight filtering through the green leaves. He then walks down a trail through the woods.

CUT TO:
EXT. SHERIFF STATION -- SUNDAY AFTERNOON

CUT TO:
INT. SHERIFF STATION -- LOBBY -- AFTERNOON

KENT and OREGON enter. ABIGAIL is at her desk.
ABIGAIL
May I help you?

KENT
I need to talk to Sheriff Armstrong.

ABIGAIL
I’m afraid Sheriff Armstrong is extremely busy right now...

KENT
You don’t understand. I know what happened at the festival. I know who did it!

ABIGAIL
One moment, please.
Abigail activates her intercom. Oregon looks at Kent, nods, and smiles.

CUT TO:
INT. SHERIFF STATION -- SHERIFF’S OFFICE -- AFTERNOON

Pull back from the red roses on Sheriff’s desk. SHERIFF sits behind the desk and KENT sits in the chair across from him.
SHERIFF
You think the people who kidnapped you also kidnapped Yvonne?

KENT
Yes. Her name’s Janet Flynn, she’s a friend of my mother’s. Her son’s named Jeremy. But it’s Alan Cartwright they want. I figured it out while I was their prisoner. He must be Jeremy’s father, because Janet told me she and Alan were lovers a long time ago and she got pregnant. She wanted to use me to get revenge on Cartwright, but it didn’t work out, so they tried something else. But I was in the way, so they took me to their hideout and tied me up. I heard them say they had to get to the festival yesterday, and that they had bigger fish to fry. Then I heard Cartwright’s ex-wife was kidnapped from the festival. It all makes sense!

SHERIFF
This hideout. Do you know where it is?

KENT
Well, not really. I was unconscious when they took me there, and when I escaped, I had to go through the woods and it was dark. But I can tell you it was an old church. It can’t have been used in decades from the look of it. But it was definitely a church.

SHERIFF
There’s only one it could be! Kent, thank you!
Sheriff gets up and exits. Kent looks at the roses and shivers.

CUT TO:
EXT. WOODS IN SUMMER -- DAY

Flowers sway in the gentle breeze as GALE comes to the bottom of a steep hill. He looks up and then begins to climb. Dead branches and shifting rocks make the going treacherous. Then, Gale realizes there are tree roots protruding from the ground which he can use as handholds. He pulls himself up the hill. He stops midway up, finding under a root a piece of slate with a primitive drawing on it. The drawing shows several strange symbols, as well as a stick-figure picture of a person with two heads, one colored in and the other not. Surrounding the figure are a moon, a drum, a flame, and a lightning bolt. Gale puts the piece of slate in his jacket pocket and continues up the hill.

CUT TO:
EXT. DERELICT CHURCH -- AFTERNOON

CUT TO:
INT. DERELICT CHURCH -- AFTERNOON

YVONNE is tied to the altar table. JANET and JEREMY stand on either side of her. DUANE is in the background.
JEREMY
She’s awake.

JANET
Good morning.

YVONNE
What do you want?

JANET
I want revenge on the person who corrupted me, destroyed my life, drove me from my home, and left me and my child at the mercy of strangers.

YVONNE
Should I know you?

JANET
You’re just a means to an end, my dear. It’s not you we want, it’s Alan Cartwright. And your death will draw him irretrievably into my web.

YVONNE
Duane... is that you? Please, help me!

JANET
Duane? Your mother’s asking for you.

YVONNE
Duane... why?

DUANE
Why not? I don’t owe you anything! You left me. You went off on some stupid journey to find yourself! Well, what about me? Where were you when I needed you? You were always trying to help the whales or the rainforests or a bunch of dumb natives! But you never did anything to help me! I was eight years old! Why should I care what happens to you?

YVONNE
Duane, please...

DUANE
I hate you. I hate you!
Janet gives Duane a hug.
JANET
It’s all right, dear. Everything’s going to be made right again. Trust me.
CUT TO:
EXT. PINE FOREST IN SUMMER -- DAY

GALE walks along a trail. On his left is a dense pine forest. On his right is the edge of a high cliff overlooking a wooded valley below. The sun is shining brightly on the green landscape. There are no signs of civilization. Gale looks up at the pine trees, tall and straight. Then, he hears the echo of laughter on the wind. He finds Dani’s clothes in a heap on the side of the trail. He kneels down and examines them. Suddenly, DUKE appears behind him.
DUKE
I knew you’d follow me! Welcome to the End of the World, Martin. But you’re too late. The power of the Shadowrealm will be mine!

GALE
You’re insane. How did you get here?

DUKE
You’re not the only one with friends in high places!

GALE
The power here will only destroy you.

DUKE
Liar! You won’t rob me of it!
Duke attacks Gale. They fight. Duke knocks Gale down onto the edge of the cliff, gets on top of him, and tries to strangle him.

CUT TO:
INT. DERELICT CHURCH -- AFTERNOON

JANET, JEREMY, and DUANE ready their firearms. YVONNE is tied to the altar table.
JEREMY
With Kent’s unfortunate escape, we’ll have to be prepared for trouble. Those boys have been content to take the law into their own hands so far. Let’s hope they continue to do so.

JANET
Don’t worry. That sniveling little turd doesn’t have the balls to go to the police. He’s terrified of me.

JEREMY
Don’t be so certain, Mother.

DUANE
What’s that?
Duane goes to one of the front windows.

CUT TO:
EXT. DERELICT CHURCH -- AFTERNOON

Several police cars pull up and surround the building. Numerous DEPUTIES get out of the cars and take up defensive positions, their guns trained on the building. SHERIFF gets out of his vehicle, carrying a megaphone.

CUT TO:
INT. DERELICT CHURCH -- AFTERNOON

DUANE looks out the window. JEREMY comes up behind him as JANET stands near the captive YVONNE.
DUANE
It’s Sheriff Armstrong!

JEREMY
Well, it looks like your little boy-toy decided to kiss and tell after all, Mother.
Janet grimaces, then holds up her shotgun.
JANET
Then let’s show them all a good time.
Jeremy pushes Duane out of the way and puts his assault rifle up to the window.

EXT. DERELICT CHURCH -- AFTERNOON

SHERIFF holds up his megaphone.
SHERIFF
Attention! This is the sheriff! I want everyone inside the building to come out with your hands in the air. We have you surrounded. Surrender now before anybody gets hurt.
CUT TO:
INT. DERELICT CHURCH -- AFTERNOON

JANET, JEREMY, DUANE, and YVONNE as before.
JANET
Too late for that, Sheriff. Twenty years too late.
Jeremy opens fire.

CUT TO:
EXT. DERELICT CHURCH -- AFTERNOON

Bullets rip along the police cruisers. SHERIFF hits the dirt. The DEPUTIES return fire, blasting away at the window.
SHERIFF
Cease fire! Cease fire!
The firing stops. Sheriff returns to a defensive position, next to LYNDON.
LYNDON
Are you okay?

SHERIFF
Just fine, Lyndon. They have a prisoner. I don’t want her getting caught in the crossfire. We’ll try to negotiate. Everyone hold your fire unless I give the word!
JEREMY yells out the window of the church.
JEREMY
We have Ms. Temple, Sheriff! How she fares depends on you! Do not force us to take drastic measures!

SHERIFF
(through the megaphone)
There’s no way out, Mr. Flynn! Don’t make it worse for yourself!
CUT TO:
INT. DERELICT CHURCH -- AFTERNOON

JANET, JEREMY, DUANE, and YVONNE as before.
JANET
This is a disaster! She’s just dead weight, let’s kill her now!

JEREMY
Don’t be idiotic! We may need her as a bargaining chip!

JANET
How dare you speak to me that way?!
Yvonne struggles against her bonds, but it is no use.

CUT TO:
EXT. PINE FOREST IN SUMMER -- DAY

DUKE is strangling GALE on the edge of the cliff. Gale manages to knock Duke back and gets up. They scuffle. Duke hits Gale in the head, knocking him backwards. Gale stumbles off the edge of the cliff. As he falls, Gale grabs a large, sturdy tree root sticking out of the ground at the edge. He struggles to climb back up, but Duke comes up to him, gloating.
DUKE
This is the place where worlds end, Martin. Only one of us can pass on alive. And it won’t be you! Your world ends now!
Duke is about to stomp on Gale’s wrist when Gale grabs his trouser leg with his free hand and yanks him off balance. Duke falls over the edge of the cliff but grabs another tree root. As Gale climbs back onto the trail, the root Duke is hanging onto snaps, sending Duke tumbling down into the river far below. Gale lays down on the ground, exhausted.

CUT TO:
EXT. DERELICT CHURCH -- AFTERNOON

SHERIFF, LYNDON, and the DEPUTIES maintain their positions, watching the dilapidated building.
SHERIFF
Damn it, we can’t just sit here all day. They won’t talk and we can’t take the chance of a full assault. There’s only one option. I’m going in. Alone.

LYNDON
You could be killed!

SHERIFF
I’ll take that chance.
Sheriff moves along behind the police cars nearer to a side of the church without windows. He begins to creep closer to the building.

CUT TO:
INT. DERELICT CHURCH -- AFTERNOON

JANET stands near the captive YVONNE. DUANE watches out one window while JEREMY watches out another, both with guns at the ready.
JEREMY
I don’t see the Sheriff. Duane?

DUANE
No sign of him over here.

JEREMY
Damn it, what’s he up to?
Jeremy looks over at the stairs leading up to the belfry.
JEREMY
Mother, take over my position. I’m going to get a better view.
Jeremy climbs up the stairs. As he reaches the belfry, the old staircase collapses under him, but he is able to get a handhold and pull himself into the small loft where the bell used to be.
JANET
Jeremy! Are you all right?

JEREMY
I’m fine! Just keep cool! All right, you bastard, where are you?
Jeremy peers out at the circle of police cars.

CUT TO:
EXT. PINE FOREST IN SUMMER -- DAY

GALE continues along the trail, then emerges from the pine forest.

CUT TO:
EXT. FIELD IN WINTER -- DAY

GALE looks out over a vast, empty plain. It is now a gray, overcast day. He walks out onto the field. A large puddle of water suddenly appears in front of him and he stops. Then, RAMONA appears across the water and holds up her hand. Gale is startled. Ramona walks through the puddle and takes Gale’s hand. The puddle disappears. Ramona leads Gale to where she was standing before. Gale looks down and sees BROWNTURTLE sitting on a blanket on the ground. Brownturtle puts his hands over his eyes, then opens his hands and looks at Gale. Gale squints.

CUT TO:
EXT. DERELICT CHURCH -- AFTERNOON

SHERIFF sneaks toward the church building. He is halfway between the circle of police cars and the church.

Up in the belfry, JEREMY looks around and spots Sheriff approaching. He brings his rifle up to aim it.
JEREMY
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust...
Jeremy stands up, ready to fire at Sheriff. LYNDON spots Jeremy up in the belfry.
LYNDON
Sheriff! Get down!
Jeremy opens fire on Sheriff, who dives to the ground and rolls out of the way in time. The DEPUTIES open fire on the belfry. Jeremy is hit several times, and blood spews out of his body as the bullets tear through him. Blood spurts out of his mouth as he collapses.

CUT TO:
INT. DERELICT CHURCH -- AFTERNOON

YVONNE is tied to the altar table. DUANE is crouching at one window with his gun. JANET is at another window with her shotgun. Hearing the gunfire, she turns to see JEREMY’s body come crashing through the space where the staircase had been and hit the pile of rubble. She drops her gun and runs over and cradles the body in her arms.
JANET
No... my baby... my baby! No!
She looks at Duane, who is staring at them.
JANET
This is all her fault! Murdering bitch! She killed your brother! She murdered my baby! Kill her! She deserves to die! Kill her now!
Duane gets up and walks over to Yvonne, holding up his gun.

CUT TO:
EXT. FIELD IN WINTER -- DAY

BROWNTURTLE sits on a blanket on the ground. RAMONA stands next to him. GALE faces them.
BROWNTURTLE
The clocks run backwards now. The wide path will take you there. The Great Abyss is where you will find them -- love and hate together. You must see beyond your eyes. Many are the falsehoods. At the crystal gateway you may enter. Follow the wide path only. Time is of the essence.
Gale turns and crosses the plain back to the path along the edge of the pine forest. He turns and looks back across the plain, but Brownturtle and Ramona have vanished. Gale follows the path to a point where it curves into the pine forest. Around the entrance to the forest, many slender white branches crisscross, resembling a crystalline structure. Gale enters the forest, where it is again summer. He looks back out at the bleak, wintry plain, then continues on into the sunlit pine forest.

CUT TO:
INT. DERELICT CHURCH -- AFTERNOON

JANET cradles JEREMY’s bloody body. DUANE approaches YVONNE, who is tied to the altar table, aiming his gun at her.
YVONNE
Duane... don’t listen to her. She’s been telling you lies. I never meant to stay away so long. It just happened. I’m sorry, Duane. I love you. She’s just using you. Please, don’t listen to her. She doesn’t care about you. We can make it better, Duane, better for all of us. Don’t do this. Think about it, Duane. Don’t do it.

JANET
Kill her! What are you waiting for? Shoot, damn you!
Janet gets up and crosses to Duane.
JANET
You little jellyfish!
Duane spins and strikes Janet across the face with his gun. She falls to the floor, unconscious.
YVONNE
Oh, Duane, Duane!
Duane unties Yvonne. She sits up and they embrace.
DUANE
Mom... I’m so tired of being scared...

YVONNE
It’s going to be all right now, honey. It’s going to be all right. It’s going to be all right.

DUANE
It’s all over.
Duane gets up and walks over to the door.

CUT TO:
EXT. DERELICT CHURCH -- AFTERNOON

DUANE opens the front door and steps out. He is still holding his gun.

One of the DEPUTIES sees him and takes aim.

SHERIFF sees what’s about to happen and runs back out into the open. Slow-motion.
SHERIFF
No!
The deputy fires his gun. Slow-motion.

Duane is hit. He reels, then crumples to the floor in the doorway. Slow-motion.

YVONNE runs to Duane and takes him in her arms. Sheriff runs over, holding up his hands to signal the deputies to lower their weapons.
YVONNE
Duane... Duane!
Yvonne cries. Sheriff puts his hand on her shoulder. Blood seeps into Duane’s shirt as he lies unconscious.

CUT TO:
EXT. PINE FOREST IN SUMMER -- DAY

GALE walks down the path through the pine forest. There are many small side-paths diverging from the main one. Sunlight filters through the tall trees. Gale looks down one side-path and sees a strange spectacle. MILLICENT, wearing her formal gown, is on her knees, her hands tied behind her back and her ankles also bound with nylon rope. She is wearing a choke chain around her neck and a leash. Holding the leash is TUPPENCE, brandishing a hot poker in her other hand. LLEWELLYN stands behind Tuppence, holding her arms and directing her movement as if she were a puppet. The broadsword is stuck in the ground in front of them. ALBERT is in a large cage nearby, blindfolded. He rattles the bars. They are all screaming. Gale squints, then moves on.

CUT TO:
EXT. HOSPITAL -- SUNDAY EVENING

CUT TO:
INT. HOSPITAL WAITING ROOM -- EVENING

TERRENCE enters the waiting room. SHERIFF and YVONNE are standing together. ALAN is sitting, hunched over.
SHERIFF
Is he going to be all right?

TERRENCE
Well, we’ve got the bullet out, but it’s a bad wound. It’ll be touch-and-go through the night. Right now, I can only give him a fifty-fifty chance of pulling through. I’m sorry.
Yvonne lays her head on Sheriff’s chest.
ALAN
Why? Why?!? Now, when I’ve realized I’ve been wrong! Now, when I try to make up for it! Now, I lose my son! I try to do good, and he’s taken from me! What kind of a world is this?

YVONNE
Stop it! Stop it!
Yvonne cries. Alan buries his face in his hands. Terrence puts his hand on Sheriff’s shoulder, then walks out of the room.

CUT TO:
EXT. PINE FOREST IN SUMMER -- DAY

GALE continues down the path. Along another side-path, he sees MEGAN, her arms nailed to the ground with large spikes. She looks up at him, blood running down her face. JAMES stands over her, holding a mallet. His head bursts into flames and he jumps around. Gale squints. Suddenly, Megan becomes DANI, in the same position and clothing.
DANI
Martin...
Gale starts to go to her but then hears the echo of laughter in the trees. He hurries off down the main path.

CUT TO:
INT. ALBERT’S APARTMENT -- EVENING

ALBERT and BRADLEY are finishing dinner.
ALBERT
How are your parents doing?

BRADLEY
They’re okay, I guess. Jean went home this morning, back to Cincinnati. I can’t blame her, really. It’s been two weeks now since Megan died. I think I’m over the shock of it all, but I still feel kind of numb. Like there’s a dull throbbing in the back of my head that won’t go away. And there’s such an emptiness in the house, like something that’s so missing, it’s tangible.

ALBERT
Yes.

BRADLEY
You know, you said you could understand the way I feel, because you lost Millicent and your wife, because they were both murdered.

ALBERT
I feel that same emptiness, that longing for someone who’s not coming back.

BRADLEY
But I don’t think you do understand. You can’t. Because of the way we are, just the way I am, it’s not the same. Megan was my sister, but I never -- I always thought I’d have the chance sometime to... I mean -- I never told her I loved her. And now I can’t.
Bradley puts his hand on his forehead and tries to will away the tears. Albert puts his hand on Bradley’s arm.
ALBERT
She knows, Bradley. She knows.
Bradley starts to cry.

CUT TO:
EXT. PINE FOREST IN SUMMER -- DAY

GALE continues quickly down the path. He finds TUPPENCE. She is on her knees, her hands and feet chained around a tree behind her. She is collared, with a chain going up to a sturdy branch.
TUPPENCE
Help me! Please, help me! I didn’t do anything wrong! Please, free me!
Gale stops and looks at her.
TUPPENCE
You! I recognize you! Are you real? Have you come to save me? Please, I can’t stand any more torture! I didn’t kill anybody! Set me free! You can do it, just touch the chain! Please, please!
Gale squints, then hurries away.
TUPPENCE
(cries)
No!
CUT TO:
INT. KENT’S HOME -- DINING ROOM -- EVENING

ROSEMARY, OREGON, ELLIOTT, KIMMY, NICHOLAS, PENNY, KENT, and RAMONA are having dinner. They are all engaged in light conversation. Then, Elliott stands.
ELLIOTT
I want to thank Rosemary for this great meal and for your hospitality to me and my family. I also want to take this opportunity to make a very special announcement. The fact of the matter is that I’ve asked Kimmy to be my wife, and she’s accepted.

ROSEMARY
Oh, congratulations!

PENNY
That’s wonderful.
Nicholas shakes Elliott’s hand. Kent stands up.
KENT
Excuse me.

ROSEMARY
Kent--?
Kent leaves the room. Ramona gets up and follows him.

CUT TO:
INT. KENT’S HOME -- LIVING ROOM -- EVENING

KENT is looking out the window as RAMONA enters.
RAMONA
Kent, what’s wrong?

KENT
James should be here. I have to talk to him right away.
CUT TO:
EXT. PINE FOREST IN SUMMER -- DAY

GALE moves down the path, then stops. Beside a tree a few feet from the path, he sees PENNY and LLEWELLYN engaged in a groping kiss. Penny looks at Gale while Llewellyn kisses her neck. Gale squints, then is startled. Suddenly, Penny has become DANI, wearing the same clothes. She smiles seductively and goes back to necking with Llewellyn. Gale runs off down the path.

CUT TO:
EXT. SHERIFF STATION -- EVENING

CUT TO:
INT. JAIL -- EVENING

KENT enters and goes to the cell holding JAMES.
JAMES
What do you want?

KENT
I had to come and tell you what’s happened. After I heard you were arrested, I went back and found the tape. I destroyed it. But Janet and her son caught me. They took me to their hideout, but I was able to escape. It’s all right, though. Jeremy’s dead and Janet’s been arrested, so you don’t have to worry.

JAMES
Worry? Worry?!? What the hell are you talking about?

KENT
Their plot to frame you. It’s collapsed. You’ll be free any time now.

JAMES
Are you stupid? They had nothing to do with it.

KENT
What?

JAMES
Listen to me. I killed Megan. Do you hear me? I murdered her with these two hands and I liked it! Her blood was on my skin and I licked it off! Get the picture?
Kent squints at James and begins slowly backing away.
JAMES
And where were you? Huh?!? Where were you when I needed you? Always off somewhere hiding! You traitor! You whimpering little slug! But you’ll pay the price! You will! The next time you need me, just watch, because I won’t be there! And then you can rot! You can burn! You can shrivel up! You deserve it!
Kent reaches the door and exits. James screams after him maniacally, then rattles the bars and jumps around the cell like a screeching chimpanzee.

CUT TO:
EXT. PINE FOREST IN SUMMER -- DAY

GALE comes to the end of the path, which runs along the edge of a steeply sloping ravine. He stops for a moment, then turns around. Behind him, a few yards away, is a strange J-shaped tree that makes a natural seat. Sitting on it is MILLICENT, wearing an elegant black gown. Gale walks up to her. Millicent stands and smiles at him. Then she gives him a kiss. The MAN WITH A DRUM, wearing a tuxedo, appears behind them, beating on a large kettle drum. He disappears again. Gale looks at Millicent. She is looking at where the Man with a Drum was, then turns her head and looks again at Gale. Then she looks back at where the Man with a Drum was. Gale looks too. The WOMAN IN RED LEATHER appears there and begins to dance. Suddenly, her body bursts into flames.

CUT TO:
EXT. PINE FOREST IN SUMMER -- NIGHT

Suddenly, it is dark, the only illumination provided by the flaming body of the WOMAN IN RED LEATHER. GALE looks at MILLICENT. Then, he is startled, for in Millicent’s place is LLEWELLYN. He grins at Gale, then strikes him across the face, knocking him to the ground. Gale attacks Llewellyn and they fight savagely. Llewellyn knocks Gale down into the ravine. Gale tumbles down the slope but stops himself and climbs back up. As he reaches the edge of the ravine, Gale finds Llewellyn waiting for him, but Gale grabs Llewellyn’s ankles and pulls him off balance. Llewellyn falls backwards, smashing his head into the J-shaped tree. Blood spurts out of Llewellyn’s head. Gale struggles to his feet, reeling with exhaustion. Millicent stands watching him as the flaming woman dances around.

CUT TO:
EXT. TWINSBURG HOSPITAL -- SUNDAY NIGHT

CUT TO:
INT. CHIP’S HOSPITAL ROOM -- NIGHT

CHIP lies in bed, awake, as TERRENCE examines him.
CHIP
Really, Doc, I feel fine.

TERRENCE
I’ll be the judge of that. You took a couple of nasty knocks on the head. Do you remember what happened?

CHIP
Not really. It’s all a blur, ever since I got out of prison. I remember being in a phone booth and it was raining. But after that, it’s just a big blur.

TERRENCE
Well--
A NURSE enters.
NURSE
Doctor Terrence? Could you come with me, please? It’s your, um, special patient...

TERRENCE
(to Chip)
Excuse me.
Terrence exits with the nurse.

CUT TO:
INT. HOSPITAL HALLWAY -- NIGHT

TERRENCE and the NURSE walk quickly down the hall. They pass ZEKE, coming the other way. Zeke smiles to them and waves.

CUT TO:
INT. BOX LADY’S HOSPITAL ROOM -- NIGHT

TERRENCE and the NURSE enter. The BOX LADY is sitting in bed, meowing like a cat. Terrence squints.

CUT TO:
EXT. MAPLE LODGE -- NIGHT

SHERIFF and LYNDON are in the parking lot, where only a couple of other cars remain.
SHERIFF
Dani’s car is still here, but there’s no sign of her or Gale. They couldn’t have just vanished off the face of the earth.

LYNDON
But why would Agent Gale leave in the middle of an investigation?

SHERIFF
He wouldn’t. But Agent Duke seems to have disappeared too. And I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a connection. From what Gale told me--
The black-and-white CAT emerges from the woods and rubs itself up against Lyndon’s legs. Lyndon bends down to pet it.
LYNDON
Hi, kitty. Remember me?

SHERIFF
Lyndon...
Then, KRIZMAN comes out of the woods behind the cat.
KRIZMAN
Sheriff, the friends you search for need you. Urgently.
CUT TO:
EXT. PINE FOREST IN SUMMER -- NIGHT

The flaming WOMAN IN RED LEATHER continues her dance as GALE stands at the edge of the ravine. LLEWELLYN rises to his feet, blood streaming down the side of his head, and laughs. The MAN WITH A DRUM appears again, wearing his tuxedo and beating on his kettle drum. TUPPENCE and LEIGH appear out of the darkness on either side of MILLICENT, then they walk up to Llewellyn and merge into him. Gale, suddenly bathed in white light, has a vision.

DANI is in a cave, wearing an iron collar and chain, dancing languidly within a circle of fire.

The vision, the white light, and the Man with a Drum fade away. Llewellyn catches Gale off-guard and strikes him in the head, knocking him backwards. Gale grabs Llewellyn and pulls him over the edge of the ravine. They both tumble down the slope and disappear into the darkness.

CUT TO:
EXT. WOODS -- NIGHT

At the pit filled with dark water and surrounded by mossy rocks, GALE and DANI appear, lying on the ground unconscious. SHERIFF, LYNDON, and KRIZMAN rush up to them.
SHERIFF
Martin? Martin!
CUT TO:
INT. TWINSBURG INN -- GALE’S ROOM -- NIGHT

GALE awakens in his bed, wearing his pajamas. SHERIFF and TERRENCE are nearby.
TERRENCE
There he is.

GALE
Where am I?

SHERIFF
It’s okay. Just take it easy.

GALE
Dani! How’s Dani?

SHERIFF
She’s going to be just fine.

TERRENCE
What you need right now is rest.

GALE
Doctor, Bob, would you please excuse me? I need to make a phone call.

SHERIFF
Sure.

GALE
I need to make a phone call.

SHERIFF
Okay.
Sheriff and Terrence exit.

CUT TO:
INT. ALBERT’S APARTMENT -- NIGHT

ALBERT is doing a crossword puzzle. There is a knock on the door. He gets up.
ALBERT
Coming! Who’s here at this hour?
He opens the front door. Outside is EMMA, wearing her white fur coat.
ALBERT
Emma! Come in.

EMMA
Thank you. I needed to see you.
Emma comes inside. Albert closes the door.
ALBERT
What’s on your mind?
Emma turns around and slips off her fur coat, under which she is completely naked.
EMMA
You are.
Albert takes her in his arms. They kiss passionately.

CUT TO:
EXT. SHERIFF STATION -- NIGHT

CUT TO:
INT. SHERIFF STATION -- LOBBY -- NIGHT

SHERIFF is talking to LYNDON. ABIGAIL is at her desk. GALE enters, dressed in his dark suit and tie.
SHERIFF
What are you doing here? Aren’t you supposed to be in bed?

GALE
I’m afraid I can’t afford the luxury of lying in bed when there’s work to be done. I’m leaving immediately for Peoria, where I’m meeting up with Franklin and Duncan. They have quite a case unfolding there, apparently. I came to say goodbye.

SHERIFF
This all seems kind of sudden.

GALE
Well, Bob, my work in Twinsburg is done. I have to be moving on.

SHERIFF
What about Dani?

GALE
We’ll be in touch. It’s my hope that Dani and I will be together for a very long time to come.

SHERIFF
Well, then, it was a real pleasure to work with you, Martin. If you’re ever out this way, stop in. And if you ever need us, we’ll be there.

GALE
Understood.
Gale and Sheriff shake hands.
GALE
Lyndon, your bravery is exceeded only by the size of your heart. A rare combination. Keep up the good work.

LYNDON
Thank you, Agent Gale.

GALE
Abigail, I wish all the best to you and yours.

ABIGAIL
Good bye, Agent Gale.

GALE
Good bye.
Gale exits the building. Sheriff watches him go and smiles to himself.

CUT TO:
EXT. WOODS -- NIGHT

At the rock formation, SALTARES lies on the sacrificial stone. He is dead. A large group of hooded CULTISTS surround the rock formation, holding candles. The masked CULT LEADER holds up the ornate dagger and wipes the blood off it. Then he removes his facemask. It is GALE. He bursts into maniacal laughter.

FADE OUT




Cast of Characters

Special Agent Martin Gale, 34. FBI agent.
Sheriff Robert Armstrong, 36. Sheriff of Twinsburg.

Megan Thomas, 16. Dead high school sophomore.
Bradley Thomas, 18. High school senior, Megan’s brother.
Alan Cartwright, 50. Real estate developer, mall owner.
Penny Gardner, 17. High school senior.
Duane Cartwright, 18. High school senior, Alan’s son.
Lyle Terrence, 62. Local doctor.
Rosemary Clapsaddle, 40. Owns pastry shop/catering service.
Nicholas Grey, 17. High school senior.
Elliott Grey, 42. Owns bike shop, uncle of Nicholas.
Kent Clapsaddle, 16. High school sophomore, Rosemary’s son.
Abigail Voigt, 24. Sheriff’s secretary.
Tuppence Collins, 46. Dead librarian.
Dani Clapsaddle, 29. Rosemary’s sister-in-law.
Janet Flynn, 39. Twinsburg native returned from England.

James Clapsaddle, 18. High school senior, Rosemary’s brother.
Lyndon Pfiffer, 26. Deputy.
Millicent Collins, 17. Murdered girl, daughter of Tuppence.
Gabriel Saltares, 44. College professor.
Albert Collins, 48. Lawyer, father of Millicent.
Emma Corbett, 25. Mysteriously rejuvenated woman.
Box Lady, 53. Local eccentric.
Kimmy Clapsaddle, 38. Sister of Rosemary.
Llewellyn the Marauder. Killer from the Dark Ages.
Leigh Pfiffer, 23. Dead library aide, sister of Lyndon.
Zeke Chomski, 68. Mailman.
Yvonne Temple, 36. Environmentalist, mother of Duane.
Oregon Blackthorn, 35. Wild West enthusiast.
George Brownturtle, 103. Native American mystic.
Ramona Wingfeather, 18. Maple Lodge janitor, Native American.
Sergei Krizman, 68. Maple Lodge Elder.
Jeremy Flynn, 20. Criminal mastermind, son of Janet.
Chip Clapsaddle, 31. Ex-con, Rosemary’s half-brother.
Anastasia Olivera, 30. Wealthy and beautiful corpse.
Wynton Duke, 48. FBI agent, Gale’s former partner.

Deputies
Nurse
Maple Lodge Elders
Cultists
Man With a Drum
Woman in Red Leather


Next: The Movie