Episode 15

Twinsburg - Episode 15


FADE IN:

INT. KIMMY’S APARTMENT -- TUESDAY MORNING

Pan over the sofa, across the coffee table, on which sits evidence of the apartment being abandoned suddenly, along the floor where pills are still scattered about and stepped on, and to the front door, which opens as KIMMY steps inside. Pan up to her face as she looks around the room with no trace of recognition. ELLIOTT, on crutches, enters behind her.
ELLIOTT
Well, here we are. Home sweet home.

KIMMY
We live here?

ELLIOTT
You do. I live behind the bike shop with Nicholas.

KIMMY
Oh. I’m sorry.

ELLIOTT
No, don’t be. It’s not your fault.

KIMMY
Why don’t you have a seat? Doctor Terrence said you should try to stay off your feet as much as possible. We don’t want you to push yourself too hard.

ELLIOTT
All right. But I’m feeling stronger every day.
Elliott sits on the sofa. Kimmy walks around, looking the place over.
ELLIOTT
You know, we’ve passed so many evenings together right here on this couch, watching some movies on the VCR, or maybe the football game, or just having a drink together, you and me.

KIMMY
(looking at porcelain figures)
It sounds nice. I wish I could remember. Did I collect these?

ELLIOTT
I bought you most of them. I gave you that one on your 35th birthday.

KIMMY
It’s adorable.
She picks up a photo of Patrick.
KIMMY
Who is this?

ELLIOTT
That’s... your brother. Patrick.

KIMMY
He seems somehow... No.
She picks up a photo of Chip.
KIMMY
Wait. This is my brother.

ELLIOTT
That’s right. Chip. Do you remember him?

KIMMY
Chip. Chip. No, not really. Just the face, I guess. Where is he?

ELLIOTT
Well, he’s in prison right now.

KIMMY
Prison...
She squints at the photograph.

CUT TO:
EXT. SHADYGROVE DEVELOPMENT -- MORNING

It is drizzling. Gale’s car pulls into the cul-de-sac left behind by the developers. The sign announcing the new development has been burned. Among a long line of parked motorcycles, a BIKER is getting on his bike as the car pulls up near him and stops. GALE and DANI get out of the car and approach him.
GALE
Excuse me.
The biker does not respond.
GALE
I’m looking for the Barrett brothers.
The biker looks Gale over, then points to a path into the woods. Then he guns his engine and rides away.

CUT TO:
EXT. WOODS -- MORNING

GALE and DANI follow the path to a picnic shelter, where numerous BIKERS are hanging out. Among them, playing cards at a picnic table, are DAN, DON, and OREGON.
GALE
Dan and Don Barrett?

DAN
Yeah?

DON
Hey, you’re that G-man, ain’t you?

GALE
That’s right. Special Agent Martin Gale, Federal Bureau of Investigation. This is Mrs. Clapsaddle.

OREGON
Ma’am.
Dani nods.
DAN
Well, just what can we do for you, G-man?

GALE
I’m looking for some information. On the local folklore. Sheriff says to ask you.

OREGON
If’n it’s legends yer after, Agent Gale, you come to the right place. These here boys know more bout these parts than a train car full o’ librarians. Why, there ain’t a tall tale what’s been said that these two don’t know about it. And shoot, there’s been more legends come outta here than there’s fleas on a prairie dog!

DON
Ask away.

GALE
Either of you fellas ever heard of the Lady of Light?

DAN
Where’d you hear of that?

GALE
She spoke to me. I’ve talked to Brownturtle.

DON
You’d better have a seat.
Gale and Dani sit down.
DAN
You may have felt that Twinsburg is no ordinary town. That’s because this land is a nexus for mystical phenomena, a convergence of forces that predate the dawn of time.

DON
The very land itself is imbued with these paranormal forces, making this area very active supernaturally. And where we are right now, these woods, are especially a place of dark power.

DAN
You see, the name “Shadygrove” is actually a corruption of the original name, which was a translation of the word used by the natives. That name was Shadow’s Grave.

GALE
Shadow’s Grave.

DAN
It is said that a war was fought here, between the forces of light and the forces of night, and in the end, the Lady of Night was imprisoned beneath the earth.

DON
Right here.

DAN
However, she continued to work her evil designs through hapless pawns, whose souls she would snatch from below.

DON
She had many servants, some supernaturals like herself.

OREGON
Why, I hear tell there’s a cult round here that worships her.

GALE
Yes. What do you know about that?

OREGON
(laughs nervously)
Oh, uh, nothin’, really. I ain’t even sure it’s true.

DAN
It’s true, all right. There is also an order that serves the Lady of Light and seeks to counter the forces of darkness.

GALE
Tell me more.

DON
They are cloaked in secrecy. No one knows who they are or where they meet. But one thing is certain. They’re out there.

GALE
Then I will find them. I must.
CUT TO:
EXT. HIGH SCHOOL -- MORNING

CUT TO:
INT. SCHOOL LIBRARY -- MORNING

JAMES enters and goes over to one of the computer stations. He sees PENNY sitting at a table, looking listlessly at an encyclopedia. He changes direction and goes over to her.
JAMES
Something wrong?

PENNY
Oh, hi, James. No, I was just...

JAMES
Is it Nicholas?

PENNY
I don’t... I don’t know what it is. I just seem so confused. I can’t concentrate lately at all. Whenever I try to think about it, my mind gets all mixed up, and I...

JAMES
Hey, it’s okay. Maybe if thinking about it only makes it worse, you should try something to take your mind off it.

PENNY
Like what?

JAMES
Well, I don’t know. How about entering the Queen of Lights contest? Something like that might do you good.

PENNY
Oh, I’d never win.

JAMES
That’s not the point. The point is to be in the contest. Just totally throw yourself into it. And you never know. I bet you’d be surprised at how well you do. And in the meantime, your subconscious will have a chance to work through whatever’s bothering you. It works for me, I swear.

PENNY
You were up for Queen of Lights?

JAMES
You made a funny. See, it’s working already.

PENNY
(laughs weakly)
You might be right.

JAMES
Hey, might makes right.
James smiles. Penny laughs. Pan over to the doorway, where NICHOLAS is standing, watching them with mounting rage.

CUT TO:
INT. SHERIFF STATION -- LOBBY -- MORNING

GALE enters. ABIGAIL is at her desk, sharpening a pencil noisily.
GALE
Abigail, has Franklin arrived yet?

ABIGAIL
No, sir. There’s been no Franklin and no Lyndon.
Gale gives her a quizzical look, then heads for the Sheriff’s office.

CUT TO:
INT. SHERIFF STATION -- SHERIFF’S OFFICE -- MORNING

GALE enters. SHERIFF is at his window with a pair of binoculars. Gale goes up to him.
SHERIFF
Take a look.
Sheriff hands Gale the binoculars, and Gale looks through them.
GALE
Magnificent. What is it?

SHERIFF
Red-headed woodpecker.

GALE
A real woodpecker.

SHERIFF
What’s up?

GALE
I spoke with the Barrett twins this morning. You were right, Bob, they had some very interesting things to say. Particularly concerning the Lady of Light. I think we may have some unknown allies.

SHERIFF
We could sure use them. You seem a little tense this morning.

GALE
I admit Franklin’s impending arrival has me a bit on edge. I am apprehensive as to his reasons for making a personal visit.

SHERIFF
You’ve been doing a great job. What could it be?

GALE
We’ll know soon enough.

SHERIFF
You know, I always hated having a boss breathing down my neck. Maybe that’s why I keep running for sheriff.

GALE
You have a great deal of autonomy. I envy you.

SHERIFF
Somehow, I think my life would be a little too quiet for you.

GALE
Perhaps. But down to business. Bob, I need you to help me locate George Brownturtle, a place of residence where he can be reached. I think he plays a larger role in all of this than we may suspect.

SHERIFF
Well, let’s see.
Sheriff checks the phone book.
SHERIFF
No listing. I guess that’s not surprising.
Sheriff activates his intercom.
SHERIFF
Lyndon?

LYNDON (V.O.)
Yes, Sheriff?

SHERIFF
Lyndon, where are you?

LYNDON (V.O.)
(whispers)
I’m down in the basement.
Sheriff and Gale exchange glances.
SHERIFF
Well, come on up. I need you to track somebody down.

LYNDON (V.O.)
Now?

SHERIFF
Yes, now.

LYNDON (V.O.)
Do I have to?

SHERIFF
Yes, now get up here.

LYNDON (V.O.)
Yes, sir.

SHERIFF
I don’t know what’s gotten into him.
CUT TO:
INT. SHERIFF STATION -- LOBBY -- MORNING

ABIGAIL is at her desk. LYNDON, wearing his sunglasses, crosses the room quickly. She looks at him, but he darts into the Sheriff’s office.

CUT TO:
INT. SHERIFF STATION -- SHERIFF’S OFFICE -- MORNING

LYNDON enters and slams the door. GALE and SHERIFF look at him.
LYNDON
Sorry.

SHERIFF
Lyndon, I want you to head out and see if you can find where George Brownturtle lives. Agent Gale needs a line on him.

GALE
Don’t approach the man, Lyndon. Just find out where he can be reached. You might want to start up at the Maple Lodge for some leads. He was there over the weekend with the Old West Legendarium Society.

LYNDON
Okay. You can count on me.

GALE
Good man.
Lyndon hesitates.
SHERIFF
You’re dismissed, Lyndon.

LYNDON
Yes, sir.
Lyndon steels himself, then opens the door and hurries out.

CUT TO:
INT. SHERIFF STATION -- LOBBY -- MORNING

LYNDON marches across the room, past ABIGAIL, and out without stopping or looking around. Abigail snaps her pencil in half.

CUT TO:
EXT. WOODS -- MORNING

Maple trees sway in the rain.

CUT TO:
EXT. NEIGHBORHOOD STREET -- MORNING

Rainwater collects in a barrel.

CUT TO:
EXT. SHERIFF STATION -- TUESDAY NOON

The rain continues to fall.

CUT TO:
INT. SHERIFF STATION -- LOBBY -- NOON

ABIGAIL is working at her desk as YVONNE enters.
ABIGAIL
May I help you?

YVONNE
Yes, I need to see Sheriff Armstrong.

ABIGAIL
I’m afraid he’s in a meeting at the moment. Would you like to speak to a deputy?

YVONNE
No, thanks. I’ll wait.

ABIGAIL
All right.
Yvonne looks at a bulletin board on the wall.
ABIGAIL
Excuse me, but you’re Yvonne Temple, aren’t you?

YVONNE
Guilty as charged.

ABIGAIL
Can I ask you a question that’s sort of personal, but not really, depending on how you look at it?

YVONNE
Shoot.

ABIGAIL
Well, it’s a little embarrassing.
Yvonne walks back over to the desk.
YVONNE
Okay.

ABIGAIL
Do you know about men?

YVONNE
Honey, do I. I’ve known men all around the world, and believe me, they’re all cut from the same cloth. You having man trouble?

ABIGAIL
Deputy Pfiffer has been avoiding me for two days, and I don’t know why. He runs away any time I come anywhere near him, and he won’t speak to me or look at me, and yesterday he spilled sugar all over the table because he was in such a rush to hide and I had to clean it up. And today he spent all morning down in the basement shooting his gun. I thought we had something going between us, and I even made him my special zucchini bread, but now he acts like he’s scared to death of me, and I don’t know what to do.

YVONNE
Zucchini bread, eh? Well, Abigail, it sounds to me like you have a man who’s feeling caged. He feels confined by your relationship -- he’s afraid of losing his independence. That’s very important to men, to hang on to that sense of rugged individuality.

ABIGAIL
What should I do?

YVONNE
Men love the thrill of the chase, it’s part of their primitive nature. Let him know that he hasn’t caught you yet. Take it from me, give him a challenge, and he’ll be stuck to you like your own shadow.

ABIGAIL
A challenge...
CUT TO:
INT. SHERIFF STATION -- SHERIFF’S OFFICE -- NOON

GALE and SHERIFF are sitting on opposite sides of the desk.
SHERIFF
But he wouldn’t tell you what this Feast of the Abyss was?

GALE
No, only the date.

SHERIFF
What do you think the significance is?

GALE
I have no idea. But it must be extremely important. I’m going to have to learn more, but not from Professor Saltares.

SHERIFF
This seems to get weirder every day. I can’t believe all this is happening here. This is the kind of place where nothing out of the ordinary ever happens. Or that’s what I always thought.

GALE
You have a town full of secrets, Bob. And they’re getting dug up.

SHERIFF
I guess so. I’ve been meaning to ask you, how did things go with Dani last night?

GALE
I think they went well. She is badly shaken, but we did a good deal of sharing.

SHERIFF
And how are you doing?

GALE
In the last two weeks, Bob, I have been discovering facets of myself that I had thought irretrievably lost. I came to Twinsburg to find a killer, but I seem to have also found a stillness here, in which I am led to greater self-awareness and self-wisdom.

SHERIFF
You’re learning to relax.

GALE
So it seems.

SHERIFF
Gale, sometimes I think you think too much.

GALE
You may be right. I take it your relationship with Yvonne is steadily improving?

SHERIFF
You know, I think we’re going to be able to do it right this time.

GALE
I’m glad. In life, second chances are all too rare.

SHERIFF
That’s for sure. Hey, what do you say we break for lunch?

GALE
Good idea. Rosemary’s?

SHERIFF
Where else?
CUT TO:
INT. SHERIFF STATION -- LOBBY -- NOON

GALE and SHERIFF emerge from the office. ABIGAIL is at her desk, talking with YVONNE.
SHERIFF
Yvonne!

YVONNE
Bob, I need to talk to you.

SHERIFF
Sure. Yvonne, this is Special Agent Gale of the FBI.

GALE
It’s a pleasure to meet you.

YVONNE
Likewise. Bob’s told me a lot about you.
FOSGILL enters the building.
FOSGILL
Glad I caught you in, Martin! I’ve been worried sick about you! Duncan says you’ve flipped your wig!

GALE
Franklin.
Gale squints.

CUT TO:
INT. CARTWRIGHT OFFICES -- NOON

JEAN enters the office and goes up to the RECEPTIONIST.
RECEPTIONIST
Hello.

JEAN
Hi. I’m supposed to meet Mr. Collins.
ALBERT comes around a corner.
ALBERT
Jean! Good. We’ll be right back. Hold on.
Albert moves out of sight. Jean looks at the receptionist, who is chewing on her pencil. Albert returns with BRADLEY.
BRADLEY
Hey, Jean.

JEAN
Hi. Hello, Mr. Collins.
Albert and Bradley get their raincoats out of the closet and put them on.
ALBERT
I’m glad we have this chance to have lunch together. This is nice.

JEAN
Well, thank you for inviting me.

ALBERT
Bradley has told me so much about you, I couldn’t help but want to get to know you better.

JEAN
Been talking about me, huh? Good things, I hope.

ALBERT
Oh, that’s all he has to say about you.

BRADLEY
(embarrassed)
Come on, are we going or what?
EMMA bursts into the office, wearing a sexy outfit under a large transparent parka.
EMMA
Albert! Thank goodness I caught you!

ALBERT
Emma, what are you doing here?

EMMA
I was shopping, and it struck me as how divine it would be if we lunched together today. So, I just came straight over, and here I am. You’re not going to be naughty and say you have plans, are you?

ALBERT
Well, Bradley and Jean and I are just on our way to lunch.

EMMA
Oh, that’s simply marvelous! A foursome is always so much better! Come, it will be utterly delightful, like a double date!
She takes Albert by the arm and heads for the door. Bradley and Jean follow, exchanging uncomfortable looks.

CUT TO:
EXT. SHERIFF STATION -- TUESDAY AFTERNOON

The rain continues to fall.

CUT TO:
INT. SHERIFF STATION -- LOBBY -- AFTERNOON

Pan across the lobby toward the door to the conference room. SHERIFF, YVONNE, and ABIGAIL are standing near the door. They can’t help but overhear the voices coming from within.
FOSGILL (O.S.)
In delicate matters like this, Martin, I make it my policy to go mano a mano! Can’t trust the phone lines, you know! Now, Duncan was all in a huff after his last visit, said you were a few sandwiches short of a picnic! Tell me, Martin -- is it true?
CUT TO:
INT. SHERIFF STATION -- CONFERENCE ROOM -- AFTERNOON

GALE is seated at the end of the table. FOSGILL walks around.
GALE
It’s all hogwash.

FOSGILL
Really, though, Martin -- ancient warriors taking over people’s bodies? Weird visions of beautiful women? Glowing astronauts terrorizing the countryside?

GALE
I am aware that my reports have contained a variety of unusual phenomena, and on the surface they seem unconnected, but I’m working on putting them all together.

FOSGILL
Be that as it may, Martin, you’re supposed to be working on solving a murder! That’s why you’re here, not to go digging up ghost stories!

GALE
I am making headway on the Thomas case, but these phenomena constitute loose ends from my previous cases.

FOSGILL
Those cases are closed, Martin! The killer was found, she’s dead, that’s it!

GALE
No, Franklin, that was only a small part of it. My investigation has led me into a much bigger game.

FOSGILL
Game? What game?

GALE
Forces and powers in the world that transcend our perceptions of reality and challenge our understanding of the universe. I’m talking about a war, Franklin, between the fundamental forces of light and darkness, a war taking place in the shadows of our souls, with all life and sanity hanging in the balance.

FOSGILL
You spin a good yarn, Martin, but I need proof! Your job is to come up with evidence, not wild notions about good and evil!

GALE
I’m close to putting it all together. I just need more time.
CUT TO:
EXT. HIGH SCHOOL -- AFTERNOON

CUT TO:
INT. SCHOOL HALLWAY -- AFTERNOON

JAMES is at his locker as NICHOLAS approaches angrily.
NICHOLAS
Hey!
James turns around. Nicholas corners him.
JAMES
What do you want?

NICHOLAS
You listen to me. Stay away from Penny.

JAMES
It’s a free country.
James tries to move away, but Nicholas shoves him against the wall.
NICHOLAS
Penny’s my girl. You better just butt out!
James looks over Nicholas’s shoulder and is startled. James turns around to see DUANE coming down the hall towards them. Nicholas forgets about James and readies himself for an attack. James moves off quickly. Duane comes up to Nicholas and puts up the palms of his hands.
DUANE
It’s cool.
Duane continues on his way. Nicholas is bewildered.

CUT TO:
INT. SHERIFF STATION -- SHERIFF’S OFFICE -- AFTERNOON

SHERIFF sits at his desk while YVONNE looks out the window.
YVONNE
You’re worried about your friend?

SHERIFF
I’ve got to admit that a lot of what’s been going on is pretty hard to believe if you haven’t been there. I mean, I saw it with my own eyes, and I still have trouble convincing myself that it’s all real. And even though Fosgill was in town when we broke the case, he missed out on the weird stuff. He’d have to really have faith in Gale to take him at his word.

YVONNE
Speaking of weird stuff, I want to show you this.
Yvonne takes a letter out of her purse and gives it to Sheriff.
YVONNE
I received it at the inn this morning. It had been hand-delivered.

SHERIFF
(reads)
“You must leave town straight away for your own safety. If you stay, your life is in grave danger. This is not a threat, but a warning. Take heed and go. Signed, a friend.” Have you received anything else like this? Any threats or strange phone calls?

YVONNE
No, nothing.

SHERIFF
Okay, if you do, let me know right away. And in the meantime, don’t worry. I’m not going to let anything happen to you. Can I keep this?

YVONNE
Please do.

SHERIFF
I’ll look into it myself.

YVONNE
Thanks.
CUT TO:
EXT. MAPLE LODGE -- TUESDAY EVENING

CUT TO:
INT. MAPLE LODGE -- EVENING

PENNY enters with MARY. The main hall is gaily decorated with balloons and banners that announce the Queen of Lights contest.
MARY
There, you just wait in line at those tables, apparently, and they’ll get you signed up. This is so exciting!

PENNY
I don’t know, Mom, maybe this isn’t such a good idea.

MARY
Now, Penny, don’t be silly. We came all the way up here, so you might as well go through with it. It’ll be a fun experience, you’ll see.

PENNY
But I’m not the right type, I’ll just look stupid.

MARY
No, you won’t. Now, I don’t want to hear any more. Get in line. I’ll be waiting over there.
Penny gets in line while Mary finds a seat in some rows of folding chairs against the wall where other PARENTS are sitting and gossiping. Penny sees several good-looking GIRLS whom she knows and smiles to them, feeling very inadequate. The girls are not impressed with her. Finally, she finds herself at the head of the line, standing at a folding table at which is sitting KRIZMAN with a stack of registration forms.
KRIZMAN
Hello. Your name, please?

PENNY
Penny Gardner.

KRIZMAN
Okay, Penny. Your age?

PENNY
Um... I think I’ve changed my mind.
Mary comes up to her quickly.
MARY
Don’t be silly. She’s 17.

PENNY
Mom!

MARY
Don’t make a scene, Penny, you’re embarrassing me!

KRIZMAN
Look, ladies, Penny, maybe you should go on home and think some more about it. There’s no rush -- registration is open through Friday night, so you can come back tomorrow or whenever. When you’re more sure of what you want to do.

MARY
You’ll do no such thing! We’re here, you can sign up!

PENNY
Oh, all right!

KRIZMAN
Okay, Penny.
Krizman gives Penny a kindly wink. She smiles weakly.

CUT TO:
EXT. SHERIFF STATION -- EVENING

CUT TO:
INT. SHERIFF STATION -- CONFERENCE ROOM -- EVENING

SHERIFF and FOSGILL sit across from each other at the table.
FOSGILL
Now, Sheriff, you’ve been working closely with Agent Gale for a couple of weeks, and I want you to tell me if his behavior has been what we might call erratic!

SHERIFF
Mr. Fosgill, I know that a lot of what Agent Gale says doesn’t seem to make sense, but in the weeks that I’ve been working with him, I’ve learned not to dismiss anything out of hand, no matter how crazy it sounds.

FOSGILL
Well, I can’t speak for you, Sheriff, but all this talk about glowing astronauts sounds pretty crazy to me.

SHERIFF
Now, I saw that astronaut myself, and so did a lot of other witnesses, when Agent Gale wasn’t there. I was trying to straighten out a problem between some bikers and some construction workers when this thing came out of the woods. Everybody there saw it.

FOSGILL
I’d like to be able to take your word for it, Sheriff, but this isn’t Sunday School! Have you got any proof the thing exists?

SHERIFF
No. But Agent Gale does. He has the astronaut’s voice on tape.

FOSGILL
You don’t say!
Fosgill gets up and goes to the door. He opens it and calls out into the lobby.
FOSGILL
Martin, would you come in here?
GALE enters.
FOSGILL
The Sheriff informs me that you have this astronaut of yours on audio tape!

GALE
I do, indeed, Franklin! Thank you, Bob, I’d forgotten! The tape is in my room at the inn, Franklin. I’ll have to go over and get it.

FOSGILL
I’ll tell you what, Martin! Why don’t you run over and get it?

GALE
On my way!

FOSGILL
And Martin... this had better be good!
CUT TO:
INT. CARTWRIGHT HOME -- DEN -- EVENING

ALAN is tending the fire in the fireplace.
ALAN
It’s really nothing to worry about.
He straightens up and turns around. JANET is seated on the sofa.
JANET
You’re so changed, Alan. I’m worried for you. You can’t deny something has happened to you since your fall.

ALAN
I don’t deny it. I see the world in a new way. Do you think less of me for it?
Janet goes over and embraces Alan.
JANET
Of course not, darling. It’s a positive change. A wonderful change. You’ve become so much more caring and compassionate, so noble and wise. I feel I’m not worthy of you anymore.

ALAN
Everyone has intrinsic worth, Janet. Deep down, we are all equal.

JANET
But I look at you and I see my own narrow-mindedness. I’ve been so shallow. I need you to help me... to make me a better person.

ALAN
Only you can do that.

JANET
But not alone, my dearest. I don’t have the strength. Not like you. Oh, Alan, I love you. I will always love you with all my soul, no matter how many changes you go through. You mean everything to me. I would never leave you to follow some selfish whims or put my own needs above yours.

ALAN
Are you referring to Yvonne?

JANET
I mean nothing personal against her, darling, but you need an enduring, unchanging love. The sort of rock you can count on, no matter how stormy your seas become. The kind of love only I can give you. Kiss me.
Janet closes her eyes. Alan puts his head down but does not kiss her. Janet begins to cry. Alan comforts her.
ALAN
I know change is difficult. There, there.
Janet looks over Alan’s shoulder and sees a photograph of Yvonne standing on his desk.

CU -- PHOTO OF YVONNE

CU -- JANET gives the photo an icy glare.

CUT TO:
EXT. WOODS -- EVENING

The gibbous moon appears between the clouds, dissected by high-tension wires.

CUT TO:
INT. SHERIFF STATION -- CONFERENCE ROOM -- EVENING

Close-up of Gale’s tape recorder standing on the table. GALE, SHERIFF, and FOSGILL stand around the table, listening to it as it plays.
GALE (V.O.)
Roseanne, at least six dozen motorcycle enthusiasts have just parked their vehicles in the inn parking lot and are now heading for the lobby. Although I had thought they would not be necessary on this assignment, I am fortunate to have with me my silicon ear-pillow earplugs. One must be prepared for any eventuality. It is February 4th, and this is me, Martin, signing off.
There is a click, then the sound of wind rushing.
GALE (V.O.)
Wait!
Gale stares at the tape in disbelief.
FOSGILL
Well?

SHERIFF
That’s the right spot?

GALE
The voice was there. I heard it. He said very distinctly, “Deep within the maple trees, the brown turtle knows the passage.”

FOSGILL
Has the tape been tampered with?

GALE
Impossible. My security measures go well beyond Bureau requirements. I don’t understand it.

FOSGILL
Now, Sheriff, you say you heard the voice on this tape?

SHERIFF
Well, no, I never actually heard the tape. Agent Gale told me about it the next day. But I did hear the astronaut on a different occasion.

FOSGILL
That’s all well and good, Sheriff, but considering the way things look, Martin, I feel that--
LYNDON bursts into the room.
LYNDON
Agent Gale! Sheriff Armstrong! I -- Oh, I’m sorry.
Lyndon turns to exit.
SHERIFF
Whoa, Lyndon, hold on.

GALE
What have you got, Lyndon?

LYNDON
I found him. I’ve got a last-known address for George Brownturtle.
CUT TO:
INT. KENT’S HOME -- LIVING ROOM -- TUESDAY NIGHT

KENT, ROSEMARY, and RAMONA are watching the end of a movie on the VCR. Kent stops the tape and rewinds it.
ROSEMARY
That was so good. I love westerns. Kent, why don’t you show Ramona that video we shot of you at last year’s horse show? I bet she’d like to see that.

KENT
Oh, come on. It’s so boring.

RAMONA
Actually, I have to leave anyway. Thanks for the hospitality.

ROSEMARY
Sure, come again.
Kent walks Ramona to the door.
KENT
You really have to go? It’s still so early.

RAMONA
I’m sorry, I just can’t stay out late. Look, I have to take care of my grandfather. That’s all. But he needs me.

KENT
I can help. I just want to be with you.

RAMONA
I’m sorry, you can’t. I’ll see you tomorrow.
She gives him a sudden peck on the cheek and hurries off. Kent is stunned for a moment, then smiles.

CUT TO:
EXT. SHERIFF STATION -- NIGHT

CUT TO:
INT. SHERIFF STATION -- CONFERENCE ROOM -- NIGHT

GALE, SHERIFF, and FOSGILL are standing around the table.
FOSGILL
I don’t see what good it could do, Martin!

GALE
Just don’t make any decisions until you’ve had a chance to speak with Brownturtle, Franklin. He will explain what I’ve been telling you.

SHERIFF
Agent Gale deserves the chance to back up his story.

GALE
I’m sure Brownturtle will convince you, Franklin. If you just meet with him. Then you’ll understand.

FOSGILL
Martin, I’ve always known you were a little east of the sun and west of the moon, but I’ve never doubted you until now! But, in light of your service record, I’ll give you this one chance! But I want to check this out right away!

SHERIFF
I know where that road is. I’ll drive you two out there.

GALE
Okay.
CUT TO:
INT. ALBERT’S APARTMENT -- NIGHT

Emma’s transparent parka and Albert’s umbrella are in the tiled front hall. Track down the hall into the kitchen, where ALBERT and EMMA sit drinking coffee.
ALBERT
It’s good of you to spend the evening. I sure enjoy your company.

EMMA
Thank you. I enjoy yours tremendously.

ALBERT
I’ve felt so alone... so empty since Millicent and Tuppence died. They were my whole world, and then I lost them both. But now, I...

EMMA
Albert, I understand some of what you’re going through, and I want you to know that I am by no means trying to replace Tuppence and what she meant to you. But you are a fine man, and you have so much life to live yet. I just want to help you. To be whatever you need me to be.

ALBERT
I thought I could never be with a woman again without feeling guilty... that I was betraying Tuppence’s memory. But I just don’t feel that when I’m with you.

EMMA
There’s no need to feel guilty. Our affection for each other is like a pure, white light.
Albert takes her hand in his and smiles.

CUT TO:
EXT. RUN-DOWN HOUSE -- NIGHT

It is raining as Sheriff’s cruiser pulls up. The outside of the house is illuminated by a large halogen lamp high on a pole. GALE, SHERIFF, and FOSGILL get out of the car and go up to the leaky porch.
SHERIFF
This is it.

FOSGILL
I’ll say! This place looks like it should be condemned!

GALE
There’s a light on inside.
Gale knocks on the door. After a moment, RAMONA answers.
RAMONA
What do you want?

GALE
(shows his badge)
Special Agent Gale, Federal Bureau of Investigation. Miss, we’re looking for Mr. George Brownturtle. Do you know him?

RAMONA
I’m his granddaughter.

GALE
Good. It’s very important that we speak with him.

RAMONA
Well, that’s going to be pretty tough.

GALE
What do you mean?

RAMONA
He’s been dead for ten years.
Gale and Sheriff are stunned. Fosgill looks at Gale.

FADE OUT



Cast of Characters


Special Agent Martin Gale, 34. FBI agent.
Sheriff Robert Armstrong, 36. Sheriff of Twinsburg.

Jean Bellew, 19. Megan’s lookalike cousin.
Bradley Thomas, 18. High school senior, Jean’s cousin.
Alan Cartwright, 50. Real estate developer, mall owner.
Penny Gardner, 17. High school senior.
Duane Cartwright, 18. High school senior, Alan’s son.
Rosemary Clapsaddle, 40. Owns pastry shop/catering service.
Nicholas Grey, 17. High school senior.
Elliott Grey, 42. Owns bike shop, uncle of Nicholas.
Kent Clapsaddle, 16. High school sophomore, Rosemary’s son.
Abigail Voigt, 24. Sheriff’s secretary.
Dani Clapsaddle, 29. Rosemary’s sister-in-law.
Janet Flynn, 39. Twinsburg native returned from England.

James Clapsaddle, 18. High school senior, Rosemary’s brother.
Lyndon Pfiffer, 26. Deputy.
Albert Collins, 48. Lawyer.
Emma Corbett, 25. Mysteriously rejuvenated woman.
Mary Gardner, 45. Mother of Penny.
Kimmy Clapsaddle, 38. Sister of Rosemary.
Franklin Fosgill, 52. FBI regional supervisor.
Yvonne Temple, 36. Environmentalist, mother of Duane.
Oregon Blackthorn, 35. Wild West enthusiast.
Dan Barrett, 30. Motorcyclist, twin of Don.
Don Barrett, 30. Motorcyclist, twin of Dan.
Ramona Wingfeather, 18. Maple Lodge janitor, Native American.
Sergei Krizman, 68. Maple Lodge Elder.

Receptionist
Bikers
High School Students
Townspeople


Next Episode